atom feed4 messages in com.ubuntu.lists.ubuntu-ukRe: [ubuntu-uk] Mp3 to Ogg Conversion
FromSent OnAttachments
Stuart BirdDec 18, 2007 6:24 am
Dave MorleyDec 18, 2007 6:30 am
Alan PopeDec 18, 2007 6:46 am
Alec WrightDec 18, 2007 6:47 am
Subject:Re: [ubuntu-uk] Mp3 to Ogg Conversion
From:Dave Morley (davm@gmail.com)
Date:Dec 18, 2007 6:30:02 am
List:com.ubuntu.lists.ubuntu-uk

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 14:24 +0000, Stuart Bird wrote:

Hi All

I have a large music collection which is probably 95% mp3 format. I would like to move it all to an open format such as Ogg Vorbis (or any other alternatives that I am unaware of).

So I have a couple of questions:

Are there any tools that will help me achieve this? Will there be any sound quality reduction as a result of the conversions?

I'm vaguely aware of lossy, lossless issues but not really that clued up on audio formats and any issues that they have with each other. I would therefore appreciate any information before I start.

My collection runs to nearly 160 Gb so starting from scratch would not really be an option unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance.

mp32ogg It's in the repositories. point mp32ogg to the folder containing your music and it does the rest :)