atom feed17 messages in org.apache.logging.log4j-devRe: svn commit: r943816 [1/9] - in /l...
FromSent OnAttachments
rgo...@apache.orgMay 12, 2010 11:30 pm
Curt ArnoldMay 13, 2010 10:16 pm
Ralph GoersMay 14, 2010 12:21 am
Thorbjørn Ravn AndersenMay 14, 2010 2:00 am
Ralph GoersMay 14, 2010 6:12 am
Curt ArnoldMay 14, 2010 7:07 am
Ralph GoersMay 14, 2010 6:41 pm
Curt ArnoldMay 14, 2010 9:28 pm
Curt ArnoldMay 21, 2010 7:44 pm
Ralph GoersMay 21, 2010 9:14 pm
Curt ArnoldMay 22, 2010 12:00 am
Thorbjørn Ravn AndersenMay 22, 2010 12:46 am
Ralph GoersMay 22, 2010 8:49 am
Curt ArnoldMay 22, 2010 8:12 pm
Ralph GoersMay 23, 2010 12:27 am
Curt ArnoldMay 23, 2010 9:29 pm
Ralph GoersMay 23, 2010 11:35 pm
Subject:Re: svn commit: r943816 [1/9] - in /logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL/rgoers: ./ log4j12-api/ log4j12-api/src/ log4j12-api/src/main/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/org/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/org/apache/ log4j12-api/sr...
From:Ralph Goers (ralp@dslextreme.com)
Date:May 14, 2010 12:21:51 am
List:org.apache.logging.log4j-dev

Thanks for trying it out. I hadn't actually built from the root - I've built the
api and core separately - so I'm glad you were able to fix those problems.

I didn't want to commit code until I had the core of something that actually
functioned. I struggled for a couple of weeks over how to attack
XMLConfiguration. I don't like the way Logback does it, I didn't want to bring
in baggage from a third party framework, JAXB isn't a good fit either. In short,
I wanted something that can be extended without needing to add "rules" to the
XML processor. See below for what I came up with.

First, while I looked at Log4j and somewhat at Logback, most of the core code is
completely new. The exception to this is with the Converters for the
PatternLayout. I took the EnhancedPatternLayout and modified it.

1. I first created an API that had the features I was looking for. That is in
log4j2-api. While it supports logging a String or an Object it really uses a
Message interface which is valuable as it allows users to log self-describing
objects in a convenient manner. 2. I don't like the way Logback binds to the implementation. I used a technique
I had used in a previous logging framework and used a file to define the
implementation class. In theory, the API could be modified to support multiple
logging implementation simultaneously, although I have no plans to implement
that. 3. Logback suffers from a serious architectural problem that is rooted in Log4j.
The configured loggers are mixed with the loggers returned from the Logger
factory. This makes it impossible to reconfigure atomically. With Logback the
reset method is called on the context which essentially causes the system to be
in an undefined state until the new configuration is completed (log records that
should be logged are lost). To solve this I used a design that I again borrowed
from my previous framework. The configuration is separated and on a
reconfiguration the new configuration will be created and then all the loggers
will be updated to use it. While there will be a period where some loggers are
using the old configuration and some the new there is never a point where
loggers aren't configured at all. 4. Similar to Logback I added support for Markers and global filters. In
addition, filters on Loggers are also supported. Unlike Logback, there is only a
single Filter interface used for global filters, logger filters and appender
filters. 5. The XMLConfiguration is extremely simple. All it does is read the XML and
convert the DOM structure to internal Node elements, which contain the node
attributes, child node references and placeholders for the real object when it
is constructed. It uses the XML element name to match to a Plugin, so instead of
writing:

you write:

<appenders> <Console name="console" target="SYSTEM_OUT"> <PatternLayout>%-5p %c{1} - %m%n</PatternLayout> </Console> </appenders>

if you prefer using elements over attributes.

5. I implemented a "Plugin" concept. All core components use annotations to
describe their name and type. This is used by the XML configuration to determine
the element names that are used in the configuration file. a) Plugins are used for Logger, Appenders, Filters, etc. The BaseConfiguration
processes the nodes created by XMLConfiguration and saves the resulting Objects
as appropriate. b) PatternLayout uses plugins for the converters. To add a new converter an end
user just needs to create the class with the correct annotation and add the
package name to the XML configuration as an attribute. c) Configuration uses plugins to determine the Configuration implementation to
use. The XMLConfiguration and DefaultConfiguration will always be present, but a
weight can be specified to allow the new Configuration to take precedence.
Again, simply placing the Configuration class (with the appropriate annotations)
in the classpath will cause it to be used. However, if it is in a different
package that package will have to be registered to be searched either by calling
a static method on the PluginManager or via a system property (which hasn't been
implemented yet). 6. java.util.concurrent is used where appropriate. Accordingly, minimal locking
takes place. No lock is held while Appenders are called which is a serious bug
in Log4j 1.x as it causes deadlocks. 7, All internal components use the logger API for status reporting. A specific
StatusLogger provides the implementation. 8. Layouts return a byte array. In Logback Ceki recently came up with the idea
of using encoders to allow binary data streams to be sent and received. While
the requirement seems valid it seemed awkward to wrap a Layout in an encoder. 9. Obviously, everything leverages Java 5 (and might possibly require Java 6
since that is the JVM I've been using).

The API is not compatible with log4j 1.x. My intention would be to create a
compatible API (to the degree possible) in a log4j12-api package.

I've benchmarked this against Logback in both the SimplePerfTest and
ThreadedPerfTest. Logback is slightly faster, probably due to the separation of
the configuration from the logger, but the difference is about 1 or 2 hundredths
of a second over a million log records that don't pass the log level (i.e. no
log records are written).

Although it is a decent amount of code this is meant to be just a starting
point. My hope is that others, like yourself, will look at this and figure out
how to improve on it. And, of course, there are a bunch of Appenders, Filters,
and other components that are completely missing.

Ralph