|Kito D. Mann||Oct 20, 2007 5:18 pm|
|Dennis Byrne||Oct 20, 2007 5:22 pm|
|Mario Ivankovits||Oct 20, 2007 11:51 pm|
|Mario Ivankovits||Oct 21, 2007 12:05 am|
|Gary VanMatre||Oct 21, 2007 10:39 am|
|Gary VanMatre||Oct 21, 2007 10:41 am|
|Kito D. Mann||Oct 21, 2007 11:28 am|
|Niall Pemberton||Oct 21, 2007 12:38 pm|
|Craig McClanahan||Oct 21, 2007 4:47 pm|
|Antonio Petrelli||Oct 22, 2007 12:02 am|
|Bernhard Slominski||Oct 22, 2007 5:40 am|
|Gary VanMatre||Oct 22, 2007 7:37 am|
|Rahul Akolkar||Oct 22, 2007 8:11 am|
|Greg Reddin||Oct 22, 2007 8:31 am|
|Greg Reddin||Oct 22, 2007 8:34 am|
|Greg Reddin||Oct 22, 2007 8:41 am|
|Greg Reddin||Oct 22, 2007 8:44 am|
|Greg Reddin||Oct 22, 2007 8:46 am|
|Kito D. Mann||Oct 22, 2007 8:48 am|
|Pavel Savara||Oct 22, 2007 9:14 am|
|Gary VanMatre||Oct 22, 2007 9:23 am|
|Bernhard Slominski||Oct 22, 2007 9:32 am|
|Kito D. Mann||Oct 22, 2007 9:44 am|
|Kito D. Mann||Oct 22, 2007 9:48 am|
|Kito D. Mann||Oct 22, 2007 9:49 am|
|Mario Ivankovits||Oct 22, 2007 10:54 am|
|Kito D. Mann||Oct 25, 2007 10:21 am|
|Matthias Wessendorf||Oct 25, 2007 10:42 am|
|Martin Marinschek||Oct 25, 2007 12:32 pm|
|Paul Spencer||Oct 26, 2007 7:26 am|
|Kito D. Mann||Oct 26, 2007 9:40 am|
|samju||Oct 29, 2007 12:53 am|
|Kito D. Mann||Oct 29, 2007 10:33 am|
|Subject:||Re: Merging Shale into MyFaces|
|From:||Gary VanMatre (gvan...@comcast.net)|
|Date:||Oct 21, 2007 10:39:51 am|
From: Mario Ivankovits <mar...@ops.co.at>
I sent out an e-mail to the Shale mailing list a week or so ago about the possibility of merging Shale with MyFaces. Development of Shale has become somewhat stale, and I'd rather see MyFaces pickup the pieces than have the code base atrophy The overwhelming consensus for the Shale list is "yes" (and Craig is no exception). What does the MyFaces PMC think?
I am +1.
I think we just have to define which modules we would like to take over: (BTW, this list is not to offend anyone, if this might happen, then sorry in advance - it might be just due to not sensitively enough choosen english wording.)
* Application Controller Don't know. I thought action oriented frameworks are outdated, though, Seam seems to introduce this paradigm again too.
* Clay Don't know. I am happy that we (I) moved away from html to components.
I'm pretty certain that JSF 2 will have some kind of template language that is not JSP. I'm also certain that it won't try inheritance but will most likely look like facelets + jsftemplating.
To be honest, I've never had a chance to use Clay outside of just building it. I know there are a couple adopters that we should consider feedback from.
Actually, I'm looking forward too trying it all over with the 2.0 jsf impl.
* Core Library Might be a must have
* Dialog Manager * Dialog Manager (Basic Implementation) * Dialog Manager (SCXML Implementation) The Dialog Manager might be a next step for MyFaces Orchestra. Anyway, I hope that one of the original developers is still there to help out with things.
* Remoting Unsure, as most of this can be done with PPR too.
JSF 2.0 will have resource delivery that is based on Shale Remoting.
* Spring Integration Unsure, I didn't get whats the advantage to the intregration with Spring
* Test Framework Must have I think
+1 Shale test is a must. IMO, it's one of the best nuggets in the bunch.
* Tiger Extensions Interesting, however, I'd like to tell everyone to use Spring as MB facility. And then Spring needs to provide such annotations (which are already existent I think)
+1 JSF 2.0 is also considering Shale Tiger in the specification.
* Tiles Integration See Clay.
Clay and tiles are two different things. I know that there needs to be some work
done to make shale-tiles work with JSF 1.2 and integrate with tiles (tlp) 2.x.
Rich ADF faces has a JSP templating feature that's pretty cool but don't have
the rich nested composition options that tiles has. Unsure of the status of that one...
* Validator Support A generic client/server validation library for JSF would be REALLY nice. Just, I don't like the idea just having a single component for this (val:commonsValidator), at least, this one needs to be extended.
-1 I did allot of work on commons validator and I really believe that the only
way to make this work (client-side) is to couple it into a component library framework.
* View Controller This needs to be reviewed and merged with the Orchestra one if possible
I am not going to vote an any of these components yet, first, I'd like to see a discussion about them. The reason is simple, even MyFaces has some "man/women power" problems currently I think. If no one is willing to pick up one of these modules they are dead in MyFaces land too. Point is, that too many dormand modules in MyFaces might harm the MyFaces community. We might create a dormand section where we move those modules then to express that we are waiting for someone with some urge to pick them up again.