atom feed11 messages in com.googlegroups.beagleboard[beagleboard] Re: SPI with BeagleBoar...
FromSent OnAttachments
kunal mankodiyaJul 30, 2009 2:42 am
Philip BalisterJul 30, 2009 7:29 am
kunal mankodiyaJul 31, 2009 1:23 pm
mandarynAug 5, 2009 4:04 am
mandarynAug 5, 2009 4:25 am
Jef PatatAug 5, 2009 6:22 am
Philip BalisterAug 5, 2009 6:41 am
kunal mankodiyaAug 5, 2009 7:26 am
Jack O'NeilSep 23, 2009 3:05 am
Amit UttamchandaniSep 23, 2009 8:49 am
Subject:[beagleboard] Re: SPI with BeagleBoard (for a newbie in Linux)
From:Jef Patat (bru@perdum.be)
Date:Aug 5, 2009 6:22:31 am
List:com.googlegroups.beagleboard

On 30 jul, 16:29, Philip Balister <phil@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 5:42 AM, kunal mankodiya<kuna@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I have been working with BeagleBoard Rev C since last 2 months. At the same time, I started using Linux firsttime. So far, I am able to place the angstrom image on my SD partition and run on BeagleBoard with DLP beamer. Now my actual task starts, in which i have to use expansion header to connect ADS1258 (in short ADC) with SPI interface.

Before I start messing with the ADC hardware, I want to setup my SPI at expansion header. I have googled and read many of the emaillist answers concerning this issue. So far, i have accumulated following information (in brief):

1. Pin Mux Configuration

In order to get SPI on the expansion header, I have to configure PIN MUX. there are two ways to do that

                a) Bootloader (U-boot)                 b) Linux kernel

Can anybody guide how to configure PIN MUX for spi interface? Step by step guide would really be appreciated, since that will ultimately be documented into BeagleBoard development blog or wiki to reduce the googling around time in this issue.http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardPinMux is a nice endeavor, however lacks examples.

I think the recent u-boot built with OE enables MCSPI4 in the pinmux. That is the easiest way to start.

How can I check this? I just built a fresh image yesterday so I should have the latest u-boot.

2. SPIDEV

We have nice spidev_test code to start with. So far, i have following information to get it run:

          - compile it with gcc-arm and take it into Beagleboard somehow.           - run it on BeagleBoard.

Currently, I have no question in this section, as i have yet not reached there.

Have you patched the code to configure spi for use by spidev into the board file?

I compile the spidev_test.c program on the beagle by instaling task-native-sdk on teh beagle.

Philip

What code needs to be patched with what? Where can I find spidev_test.c? And how can I compile it?

I really appreciate the help of your previous and future posts. Thanks a lot!