atom feed23 messages in org.perl.dbi-devRe: AutoCommit and connect_cached()
FromSent OnAttachments
David WheelerJan 31, 2005 10:28 pm
Tim BunceFeb 1, 2005 2:43 am
David WheelerFeb 1, 2005 9:16 am
Tim BunceFeb 2, 2005 2:58 am
David WheelerFeb 2, 2005 10:49 am
David WheelerFeb 2, 2005 10:57 am
Tim BunceFeb 3, 2005 7:44 am
David WheelerFeb 3, 2005 8:40 am
Tim BunceFeb 3, 2005 3:30 pm
David WheelerFeb 3, 2005 3:48 pm
Tim BunceFeb 4, 2005 2:07 am
David WheelerFeb 4, 2005 10:38 am
Sheikin SergeiFeb 4, 2005 11:31 am
Michael A ChaseFeb 4, 2005 12:22 pm
David WheelerFeb 11, 2005 11:18 am
Tim BunceFeb 12, 2005 10:11 am
David WheelerFeb 12, 2005 4:35 pm
Tim BunceFeb 13, 2005 2:44 pm
David WheelerFeb 13, 2005 5:54 pm
Tim BunceFeb 14, 2005 3:09 am
David WheelerFeb 15, 2005 10:37 am
Tim BunceFeb 15, 2005 2:21 pm
David WheelerFeb 15, 2005 9:01 pm
Subject:Re: AutoCommit and connect_cached()
From:Tim Bunce (Tim.@pobox.com)
Date:Feb 3, 2005 3:30:05 pm
List:org.perl.dbi-dev

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 08:40:48AM -0800, David Wheeler wrote:

On Feb 3, 2005, at 7:45 AM, Tim Bunce wrote:

+ my $no_reset = delete $attr->{NoReset};

+ %$attr = () if $no_reset;

If this looks good to you, I can add a test for it and update the docs and send that patch.

Any thoughts on this, then?

Same as before - not very keen.

In http://search.cpan.org/src/TIMB/DBI/ToDo it says (slightly edited):

The key point is that attributes passed to $drh->connect and $dbh->prepare are applied to the new 'virgin' handle before the real $dbh->connect or $sth->prepare is called. (In case that's not clear, think about the $drh, $dbh, and $sth variables on those calls.)

I see. So if connect_cached() returns an existing handle, the attributes would not be applied to it, yes?

Yes. The current attribute setting post-connect would be done pre-connect so if the cached handle is okay it's returned unaltered.

You'd be most welcome to draw up an informal spec for some callbacks (such as OnConnect and OnConnectCached) for discussion and implementation.

Should be pretty straight-forward. Are there other events for which you'd like to add callbacks? OnPrepare, perhaps? OnExecute? OnFetch?

Yes, but let's just start with the connect ones for now.

Tim.