atom feed151 messages in org.w3.public-lodRe: Is 303 really necessary?
FromSent OnAttachments
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 6:21 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 7:13 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 7:22 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 7:59 am
Giovanni TummarelloNov 4, 2010 8:20 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:22 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:27 am
Leigh DoddsNov 4, 2010 8:38 am
William WaitesNov 4, 2010 8:43 am
Giovanni TummarelloNov 4, 2010 8:50 am
Leigh DoddsNov 4, 2010 8:53 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 8:55 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:57 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:06 am
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 9:06 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 9:10 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:13 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 9:16 am
bill...@planet.nlNov 4, 2010 9:20 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:22 am
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 9:25 am
Harry HalpinNov 4, 2010 9:33 am
Robin YANGNov 4, 2010 9:51 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:54 am
David WoodNov 4, 2010 9:56 am
Mike KellyNov 4, 2010 10:12 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 10:13 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 10:17 am
David WoodNov 4, 2010 10:24 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 10:36 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 10:51 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 11:06 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:07 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 11:08 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:18 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:24 am
Robert FullerNov 4, 2010 11:38 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:38 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 11:41 am
Jörn HeesNov 4, 2010 11:45 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:46 am
Robert FullerNov 4, 2010 11:48 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:58 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:00 pm
Harry HalpinNov 4, 2010 12:03 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:07 pm
Jörn HeesNov 4, 2010 12:10 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:12 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:12 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:14 pm
NathanNov 4, 2010 12:26 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:36 pm
David WoodNov 4, 2010 12:56 pm
98 later messages
Subject:Re: Is 303 really necessary?
From:Ian Davis (me@iandavis.com)
Date:Nov 4, 2010 7:22:04 am
List:org.w3.public-lod

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kide@openlinksw.com> wrote:

Ian,

Q: Is 303 really necessary?

A: Yes, it is.

Why? Read on...

I don't think you explain this in your email.

What's the problem with having many options re. mechanics for associating an HTTP based Entity Name with a Descriptor Resource Address?

Do you mean associate a resource with a description? Or do you mean something else? Can you rephrase using the terminology that everyone else uses please.

We shouldn't be narrowing options for implementing the fundamental essence of Linked Data -- hypermedia based data representation. Of course, we can discuss and debate individual, product, or organization preferences etc.. But please lets not push these as mandates. We should never mandate that 303's are bad, never. Its an implementation detail, no more no less.

I'm suggesting that we relax a mandate to always use 303 and since you're saying we must not narrow options then you seem to be supporting my suggestion,

The only thing that should be mandatory re. Linked Data is this:  HTTP based Entity Names should Resolve to structured Descriptors that are Human and/or Machine decipherable.

Are you saying that requesting a URI should return a description document?

Ironically, bearing in mind my comments, we do arrive at the same conclusion, but in different ways. I phrase my conclusion as: heuristics for implementing HTTP based Entity Names that Resolve to structured Descriptor Resources shouldn't dominate the Linked Data narrative, especially as comprehension of the fundamental concept remains mercurial.

So are you contradicting your answer at the start of the post?

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen

Ian