|Subject:||Re: Are we getting close to being able to have a 3.0-M2 release?|
|From:||Kevan Miller (keva...@gmail.com)|
|Date:||Oct 25, 2010 11:42:20 am|
On Oct 20, 2010, at 2:32 PM, Rick McGuire wrote:
We've made a lot of progress on Geronimo 3.0 since the M1 release and are
starting to get close to passing the Web Profile TCK. I'm thinking it's time to
start discussing plans for doing another release update.
I'm assuming we'd want to do this shortly after we can be certified as passing
the Web Profile TCK. At that time, we'll have a number of SNAPSHOT dependencies
we'll need to have releases on. The biggest dependencies that will need to
resolved (and which likely can only be handled after getting the TCK to pass
cleanly) are openejb, openwebbeans, and xbean. Two other critical components
we'd need are a new tomcat external release and a Jetty release (currently using
Other snapshots we're using:
- the txmanager and connector (probably can only be released toward the end)
- jaspi (probably can be released at any time)
- the ejb spec (probably can be released at any time)
- the el spec (Just had an update to a number of files, might want to wait a
little on this one). - scout (used only for web services, so this will likely be removed). - axiom (ditto) - activemq 5.4-SNAPSHOT (5.4.1 is out...can we use that one? This is something
we should investigate now).
For the 3.0-M1 release, the big hold up was the long chain of snapshot
dependencies that needed to be resolved. The more we can get resolved now, the
better the chances of avoiding the same chain-reaction pileup we experienced the
Implicit in the above is the M2 release would receive the same sort of pruning
that was performed on the M1 release to remove all of the web services elements
that really have not had received any attention yet. If not, then we'll need to
chase after some additional components like scout.
Definitely time for a release, IMO.
I'd like to understand what sort of "pruning" you are thinking about... I assume
no changes are/will be needed to the javaee6-web assemblies. We then have a
choice of releasing the "full" java ee6 assemblies or not releasing them. I'd be
in favor of releasing them, unless they present significant roadblocks (e.g.
unreleased dependencies, etc). As long as a reasonable set of function is
working, I'd include them in the release. Even if some set of functionality,
e.g. web services, was not working.
I assume we'll be doing some Jira cleanup? All of our issues have been fixed in
"3.0". Will we be moving them to 3.0-M2? What's our outlook for a post M2
release? Will that be 3.0? Or a 3.0-M3?