atom feed2 messages in org.r-project.r-help[R] RODBC help
FromSent OnAttachments
Keith SabolNov 16, 2005 9:56 am
Earl F. GlynnNov 17, 2005 2:28 pm
Subject:[R] RODBC help
From:Earl F. Glynn (ef@stowers-institute.org)
Date:Nov 17, 2005 2:28:24 pm
List:org.r-project.r-help

I had a similar problem when I posted this recently:

RODBC and Excel: Wrong Data Type Assumed on Import http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/help/05/11/14938.html

My conclusion was: "Being lucky" shouldn't be part of processing Excel files, which is the case when RODBC is used.

This reply gave some suggestions: http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/help/05/11/14990.html

I found this suggestion the most useful:

"You could try using the COM interface rather than the ODBC interface" http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/help/05/11/15030.html

This approach has problems if you have "holes" in your data, but with some work I found RDCOMClient the way to go: http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/help/05/11/15090.html

IMHO, RODBC should only be used if you have an Excel file without holes, and with very regular numeric data. I don't understand why the online documentation is not updated to give a usage note that RODBC will often fail reading Excel files.

Specifically,

this help:

library(RODBC) ?odbcConnectExce

should be modified to have a warning "RODBC considered harmful with Excel files"

efg

"Keith Sabol" <sabolk at hotmail.com> wrote in message news:BAY114-F12CBDEDD885260F9BE1AA7D75C0 at phx.gbl...

I am using the RODBC package to read data from an Excel file. ... My problem appears to be related to specification of data types by column.