atom feed37 messages in com.selenic.mercurialRe: hgwebdir replacement - pylons hg app
FromSent OnAttachments
marcinkuzminskiJun 3, 2010 11:55 am
Adrian BuehlmannJun 3, 2010 1:20 pm
Jilles TjoelkerJun 3, 2010 2:00 pm
Adrian BuehlmannJun 3, 2010 3:52 pm
Mike MeyerJun 3, 2010 5:08 pm
Adrian BuehlmannJun 3, 2010 5:27 pm
Paul BoddieJun 4, 2010 1:35 am
marcinkuzminskiJun 4, 2010 2:19 am
Adrian BuehlmannJun 4, 2010 2:39 am
Benoit BoissinotJun 4, 2010 2:42 am
marcinkuzminskiJun 4, 2010 3:22 am
Mike MeyerJun 4, 2010 7:24 am
rupert.thurnerJun 6, 2010 4:33 am
marcinkuzminskiJun 7, 2010 4:05 am
marcinkuzminskiJun 7, 2010 7:30 am
Bill BarryJun 7, 2010 1:30 pm
marcinkuzminskiJun 7, 2010 2:28 pm
Bill BarryJun 8, 2010 6:19 am
marcinkuzminskiJun 8, 2010 1:10 pm
marcinkuzminskiJun 29, 2010 12:22 pm
DidlyJun 30, 2010 2:23 am
marcinkuzminskiJun 30, 2010 2:54 am
Alberto RodríguezJul 13, 2010 7:02 am
marcinkuzminskiJul 13, 2010 7:59 am
Alberto RodríguezJul 13, 2010 2:17 pm
marcinkuzminskiJul 14, 2010 2:41 am
marcinkuzminskiAug 17, 2010 3:36 pm
Didly BomAug 18, 2010 12:29 am
marcinkuzminskiAug 18, 2010 2:36 am
Didly BomAug 18, 2010 3:38 am
Alberto RodríguezAug 19, 2010 11:43 am
marcinkuzminskiAug 19, 2010 12:26 pm
marcinkuzminskiSep 23, 2010 4:55 am
Didly BomSep 24, 2010 3:27 am.png
marcinkuzminskiOct 10, 2010 5:21 pm
Adrian BuehlmannOct 11, 2010 12:00 am
Alberto RodríguezOct 11, 2010 7:42 am
Subject:Re: hgwebdir replacement - pylons hg app
From:Adrian Buehlmann (adr@cadifra.com)
Date:Jun 3, 2010 3:52:30 pm
List:com.selenic.mercurial

(adding merc@selenic.com to cc again)

On 03.06.2010 22:59, Marcin Kuzminski wrote:

On 03.06.2010 22:20, Adrian Buehlmann wrote:

Looks very interesting.

Unfortunately, I think you have a licensing problem.

Your license: http://bitbucket.org/marcinkuzminski/hg-app/src/bad9ccac26b7/LICENSE

is incompatible with Mercurial's license: http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/License#When_does_the_license_affect_me.3F

Quote (as written by Matt): "If you intend to distribute software that includes changes to Mercurial's source code or directly calls Mercurial's internals, your work may be considered a 'derived work' according to copyright law, and you will need to license your work under the GPLv2+ and make its source code available."

You are affected by "...or directly calls Mercurial's internals". That's what I see in your sources (example: [1])

Is there any chance you could fix that license problem?

[1]http://bitbucket.org/marcinkuzminski/hg-app/src/bad9ccac26b7/pylons_app/model/hg_model.py

Hi, and thanks for a quick response. About the license, my app is based on a mercurial API named vcs that we started with a friend of mine , this api is heavily dependend on mercurial internals, and it's going to be released with GPLv2+, so what if i could move all mercurial calls to the vcs. If i'll do that and, if my apps just uses vcs i could use anylicense i wannt is that correct ?

I don't think that works. GPLv2+ is viral by nature.

If vcs calls Mercurial via its python API, then vcs has to be GPLv2+. (Which it is, as you say, so vcs is fine).

If anything X on top calls vcs via Python API, then X must be GPLv2+ in turn as well by the same reasoning. X is infected by GPLv2+ as well.

If you put a BSD-like license to X, then I think you are (in good faith or not) essentially making a false claim. You can't open the license of X by doing that.

That's the (intentional, I guess) dilemma of the GPLv2+.