atom feed4 messages in com.googlegroups.kml-support-getting-startedRe: rich content in info boxes of EMB...
FromSent OnAttachments
JackanNov 7, 2008 7:40 am
Roman NNov 11, 2008 11:30 am
JackanNov 18, 2008 3:45 am
Roman NNov 19, 2008 3:25 pm
Subject:Re: rich content in info boxes of EMBEDDED Google Earth?
From:Roman N ()
Date:Nov 19, 2008 3:25:53 pm
List:com.googlegroups.kml-support-getting-started

Hi Jack,

The added balloon security model imposed by the plugin prevents this from being a very simple task. I am, however, working with our engineers on ways we can improve the security model.

You should still be able to accomplish this using JavaScript balloons, if you use fetchKml. This would be the general idea:

1) Use fetchKml to load the KML file containing all of your placemarks, which subsequently contain Flash <embed> tags 2) Before displaying the loaded KML file in the Earth instance, traverse through the loaded KML DOM (document object model) and attach event listeners to all placemarks that you find, as per the sample I linked to above 3) In the event listener, create an HTML string balloon using JavaScript calls (again, as in the sample above), and use the placemark's getDescription() method to set the balloon's HTML content, which can contain <embed> tags

This process should allow you to overcome the plugin's balloon- scrubbing security mechanism. The trickiest part is traversing through the KML DOM. For this, a developer on the forum has provided a relevant sample:

http://groups.google.com/group/google-earth-browser-plugin/browse_thread/thread/5a3e09add9bd4a7b

Hope that helps!

- Roman