atom feed5 messages in com.redhat.et-mgmt-tools[et-mgmt-tools] Re: [Thincrust-devel]...
FromSent OnAttachments
Bryan KearneyOct 9, 2008 7:58 am
Joey BoggsOct 9, 2008 8:51 am
Cole RobinsonOct 9, 2008 9:23 am
Daniel P. BerrangeOct 9, 2008 12:55 pm
David LutterkortOct 16, 2008 10:10 am
Subject:[et-mgmt-tools] Re: [Thincrust-devel] RFC On importing raw images
From:Joey Boggs (jbo@redhat.com)
Date:Oct 9, 2008 8:51:39 am
List:com.redhat.et-mgmt-tools

David Huff wrote:

Bryan Kearney wrote:

We are starting to look at more interesting use cases around bringing in existing appliances into virt-manager. Joey has some interesting questions about driver, but I wanted to bring up an easier one.

Some of public appliances which exist are raw disk images which can easily be booted, but have no virt-image xml file. The user can of course manually create the file, but I think it would be nice to have the tooling help this. I could see one of the following solutions. Can folks pipe in with comments on these or another approach?

(1) Create an "interactive" mode for virt-image which prompts the user.

Doesn't virt install already have a kindaof an interactive mode for creating a new image?

I think Bryan's hinting at a way to import just an imagefile and the interactive portion fills in the blanks about the memory/etc

(2) Modify virt-image to allow for all data normally the xml to be passed at command line (example, add a --imagefile parameter) (3)Create a simple pre-processor to achieve 1 or 2 above.

-- bk