atom feed5 messages in org.kernel.vger.linux-usbRe: Linux supported USB video capture...
FromSent OnAttachments
Keith LawsonAug 29, 2008 1:27 pm
Ming LeiAug 30, 2008 12:21 am
Keith LawsonAug 30, 2008 12:24 pm
Greg KHAug 30, 2008 3:15 pm
Keith LawsonSep 2, 2008 7:47 am
Subject:Re: Linux supported USB video capture device
From:Keith Lawson (keit@public.gmane.org)
Date:Sep 2, 2008 7:47:54 am
List:org.kernel.vger.linux-usb

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Greg KH wrote:

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 03:25:00PM -0400, Keith Lawson wrote:

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Ming Lei wrote:

2008/8/30 Keith Lawson <keith-e83xkrq8dvaw5LPnMra/2Q@public.gmane.org>:

Hello,

I'm trying to find a small USB video capture device with Linux support. I've tried the Diamond VC500 (http://www.diamondmm.com/VC500.php) because I though it had the em2820 chipset in it but the "em28xx" module doesn't seem to recognize it:

dmesg output: usb 5-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6 usb 5-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice usbcore: deregistering interface driver em28xx em28xx v4l2 driver version 0.1.0 loaded usbcore: registered new interface driver em28xx

lsusb output: Bus 005 Device 006: ID 07de:2820 Diamond Multimedia VC500 Video Capture Dongle

I'm considering the Hauppauge USB-live: http://registration.hauppauge.com/webstore/hardware2.asp?product=usblive

But can't confirm for sure Linux supports it either.

Can anyone recommend a good USB video capture device with Linux support? I don't need a TV tuner or audio.

uvc (usb video class) camera

Thanks for the response. I'm not looking for a camera I'm looking for a device with composite (RCA) video input to plug the output from an analog camera into. The Hauppauge USB-live is exactly what I'm looking for but I don't want to order another device only to find it won't work with Linux.

Is there support for the Hauppauge USB-live or a similar USB video capture dongle in the kernel?

There is a nice device from Sensoray: http://www.sensoray.com/products/2255data.htm that has good Linux support in the 2.6.27 kernel with an active developer from the company itself. I have one of these devices here and can vouch for it working well.

Don't know if 4 video source inputs is a bit more than what you are looking for though.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h

Thanks for the response Greg. Yeah that does look to be a little overkill for the app I'm building.

I've ordered the Hauppauge device since I see "Hauppauge WinTV USB Live (PAL B/G)" listed in CARDLIST.usbvision.

Does anyone know the status of these drivers?

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mchehab/tm6010/summary

I built and loaded the "tm6000" module yesterday but it didn't see the Diamond device which has a "tm5600" chip in it.