atom feed4 messages in org.kernel.vger.kernel-janitorsRe: Getting started
FromSent OnAttachments
hiren panchasaraJun 2, 2009 4:36 pm
Frederic WeisbeckerJun 2, 2009 5:21 pm
Charles 'Mack' RhinelanderJun 2, 2009 6:03 pm
Kevin DuBoisJun 15, 2009 3:33 am
Subject:Re: Getting started
From:Kevin DuBois (kdub@gmail.com)
Date:Jun 15, 2009 3:33:04 am
List:org.kernel.vger.kernel-janitors

hiren panchasara wrote:

Hi all,

I want to start working on kernel development and as per everyone's guidance I am starting with Janitor project. I am not able to understand the TODO list on the janitor project site.

It would be great if someone can explain me how to get started and actually work on something.

This is just general advice, but like I've found with adopting any new open source project (or any large codebase for that matter) the only _real_ way to make progress is to sit down at your computer with a lot of determination, and "bang your head against the wall" for a little bit. It always helps to have a clearly defined goal, like "make a driver work" or "implement this new algorithm". Every new project I've taken on has been like this, and kernel development is no different. "Just do it" is a lot easier said than done :D

It also helps to have a good grasp of operating systems concepts (about the level an undergrad OS course will give you) before starting. Usually people on the right IRC channels, or on mailing lists are very helpful, especially once they see you put some pseudo-useful code down.

thanks, /H