atom feed10 messages in net.launchpad.lists.openstackRe: [Openstack] Performance metrics
FromSent OnAttachments
Neelakantam GaddamJun 20, 2012 5:56 am
Dan WendlandtJun 20, 2012 6:25 am
Sandy WalshJun 20, 2012 6:54 am
Rick JonesJun 20, 2012 9:36 am
Huang ZhitengJun 20, 2012 8:09 pm
Rick JonesJun 21, 2012 9:16 am
Narayan DesaiJun 21, 2012 12:41 pm
Rick JonesJun 21, 2012 2:21 pm
Narayan DesaiJun 21, 2012 7:06 pm
Rick JonesJun 29, 2012 2:35 pm
Subject:Re: [Openstack] Performance metrics
From:Rick Jones (rick@hp.com)
Date:Jun 29, 2012 2:35:59 pm
List:net.launchpad.lists.openstack

On 06/21/2012 02:21 PM, Rick Jones wrote:

TSO and GRO can cover a multitude of path-length sins :)

That is one of the reasons netperf does more than just bulk transfer :) When I was/am measuring "scaling" of an SMP node I would use aggregate, burst-mode, single-byte netperf TCP_RR tests to maximize the packets per second while minimizing the actual bandwidth consumed.

And if there is a concern about flows coming and going there is the TCP_CRR test which is like the TCP_RR test but each transaction is a freshly created and torn-down TCP connection.

It doesn't do TCP_CRR, and it is not geared towards the scores/hundreds/thousands of isntances, but I've just put a script into the netperf repository at netperf.org which will use novaclient.v1_1 to launch three instances of a specified flavor and run the runemomniaggdemo.sh script on one of them, targeting the other two.

http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/trunk/doc/examples/netperf_by_flavor.py

Is it only my second bit of Python, so I'm sure it has lots of room for improvement, but perhaps it will be of use to folks and help act as a seed crystal.

happy benchmarking,