atom feed17 messages in org.jdom.jdom-interestRe: [jdom-interest] Java 5 planning
FromSent OnAttachments
Jason HunterMar 4, 2008 1:39 pm
Victor ToniMar 4, 2008 2:55 pm
RolfMar 4, 2008 5:58 pm
Mattias JiderhamnMar 4, 2008 11:38 pm
Mattias JiderhamnMar 4, 2008 11:49 pm
Michael KayMar 5, 2008 1:36 am
Joe BowbeerMar 5, 2008 5:05 am
Victor ToniMar 5, 2008 5:24 am
Michael KayMar 5, 2008 7:15 am
Mattias JiderhamnMar 6, 2008 12:04 am
Jason HunterMar 8, 2008 12:43 am
Michael KayMar 8, 2008 1:58 am
Jason HunterMar 8, 2008 2:49 am
Michael KayMar 8, 2008 9:49 am
Timothy MarcMar 8, 2008 12:26 pm
Mattias JiderhamnMar 12, 2008 2:03 am
Tatu SalorantaMar 12, 2008 9:41 am
Subject:Re: [jdom-interest] Java 5 planning
From:Jason Hunter (jhun@servlets.com)
Date:Mar 8, 2008 2:49:10 am
List:org.jdom.jdom-interest

Michael Kay wrote:

Do we risk new users going with other XML object models if the other projects are Java 5 clean on compiles and we're not?

I'm not actually concerned about whether I have to recompile my code to work with a new JDOM.

What I meant by "Java 5 clean on compiles" was that a compile would output no warning messages. That is, if other projects jumped the bridge to Java 5 compatibility then perhaps over time new users would view those projects as superior because they didn't get a pile of JDK warnings on each compile. Warnings scare people.

What I really do care about, however, is that once I have done so, the code should work regardless which version of JDOM my users have installed. I don't want 1% of those 100,000 users calling me to say Saxon doesn't work with JDOM any more...

Yes, this is the potential problem if we alter the public API, which seems to be the "value" as well as the "curse" of a Java 5 jump. It's why I ponder an org.jdom2 package if we do that, so the piles of existing code keep working and new code can be written against the new package. That's not ideal, but it's practical. What do you think, Michael?

-jh-