Okay - here's the situation:
I used the AppFuse archetype 'appfuse-basic-struts' to generate a project
using Maven 2. That worked great (except that the db creation failed since I
had a password on the MySQL 'root' user account).
Anyway, after working out the db issue, I tried running it using 'mvn
jetty:run-war' but Jetty either wasn't running or something because no pages
were being displayed at localhost:8080. So I dropped the .war file into the
Tomcat webapps directory and it worked fine (except that I still can't log
into the app as 'admin' or 'user' but instead had to create my own account).
ANYway, I finally decided that I was ready to start extending the app in my
own way. I ran the 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' goal to get it setup for eclipse,
and I noticed that it was downloading a bucketload of jar files that seemed
to be very similar. In fact, it was downloading (almost) everything twice:
once from 'repo1.maven.org' and once from 'static.appfuse.org'. Here is a
sample of the maven output: