atom feed2 messages in org.apache.commons.userRe: [CLI] Why do you use the differen...
FromSent OnAttachments
Holliday, Donald B. (LNG-CSP)Mar 18, 2004 8:12 am
John KeyesMar 18, 2004 1:53 pm
Subject:Re: [CLI] Why do you use the different parsers
From:John Keyes (jo@integralsource.com)
Date:Mar 18, 2004 1:53:58 pm
List:org.apache.commons.user

Holliday, Donald B. (LNG-CSP) wrote:

I have read the usage documentation [1] and the javadoc. I can find no explanation of why you would choose one of the several parsers (BasicParser, GnuParser, PosixParser) provided with CLI 1.0.

Assuming the BasicParser provides the least capabilities, what do GnuParser and PosixParser provide that BasicParser doesn't? What are the differences between GnuParser and PosixParser?

The basic parser performs no interpretation of the command line tokens. GnuParser supports 'ant' like options e.g. '-buildfile' and Java system properties e.g. '-Dant.home=/dir'. PosixParser support 'tar' like options e.g. '-zxf' which is burst into three options '-z', '-x' and '-f'.

Does that answer your question?

Any new information on CLI 2.0?

No concrete news. I am working on increasing our code coverage at the moment. The API is pretty much stable and things are progressing slowly but surely.

-John K