atom feed88 messages in net.php.lists.internalsRE: [PHP-DEV] Proposal: Array syntax
FromSent OnAttachments
59 earlier messages
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 10:35 am
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 10:36 am
Andrei ZmievskiNov 5, 2003 10:39 am
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 10:56 am
David EndersonNov 5, 2003 11:02 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 11:10 am
Shane CaraveoNov 5, 2003 11:12 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 12:26 pm
Greg MacLellanNov 5, 2003 12:40 pm
Robert CummingsNov 5, 2003 1:08 pm
David EndersonNov 5, 2003 1:19 pm
Sara GolemonNov 5, 2003 2:40 pm
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 3:00 pm
Wez FurlongNov 5, 2003 4:06 pm
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 5:07 pm
Ard BiesheuvelNov 5, 2003 5:27 pm
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 5:50 pm
Andi GutmansNov 6, 2003 12:03 am
Stig S. BakkenNov 6, 2003 12:58 am
Kouber SaparevNov 6, 2003 1:24 am
Mike RobinsonNov 6, 2003 3:31 am
Andi GutmansNov 6, 2003 4:04 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 6, 2003 4:09 am
Alexey TrunyovNov 6, 2003 4:15 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 6, 2003 4:27 am
Sascha SchumannNov 6, 2003 4:30 am
Andi GutmansNov 6, 2003 5:28 am
Sascha SchumannNov 6, 2003 5:46 am
Stig S. BakkenNov 6, 2003 6:32 am
Subject:RE: [PHP-DEV] Proposal: Array syntax
From:Ford, Mike [LSS] (M.F@lmu.ac.uk)
Date:Nov 6, 2003 4:27:43 am
List:net.php.lists.internals

On 05 November 2003 18:39, Andrei Zmievski wrote:

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003, Ford, Mike [LSS] wrote:

I don't think the number of characters is the main issue here -- it's about having a *nicer* set of characters. Personally, I'd be still be in favour (although not quite as much) if the proposed syntax were [[[1,2,3]]] -- for me, it's about having a syntax that shouts *ARRAY* rather than whispers it.

And array() steps too softly for you?

In comparison to [], yes. I mean, I've got used to array() and all, and I'd happily carry on using it if the consensus goes that way, but I'd also switch all my scripts to [] in a twinkling if it became permitted.

(Hell, let's face it, you can get used to anything if it's the right tool for the job -- and almost anything's an improvement over spending an afternoon counting parentheses in a LISP program, curly brackets in a B program, or the number of implied REFs in an Algol68 type declaration...!)

Cheers!

Mike