atom feed11 messages in com.ubuntu.lists.ubuntu-ukRe: [ubuntu-uk] f-spot vs. iphoto
FromSent OnAttachments
Robin MenneerApr 27, 2007 7:16 am
David MorleyApr 27, 2007 7:22 am
Robin MenneerApr 27, 2007 7:58 am
Phil BullApr 27, 2007 8:38 am
TheVeechApr 27, 2007 8:41 am.png
Robin MenneerApr 27, 2007 1:40 pm
TheVeechApr 27, 2007 3:10 pm
Alan PopeApr 28, 2007 1:23 am
Kris MarshApr 28, 2007 2:50 am
TheVeechApr 28, 2007 4:03 am
TheVeechApr 28, 2007 4:33 am
Subject:Re: [ubuntu-uk] f-spot vs. iphoto
From:Alan Pope (al@popey.com)
Date:Apr 28, 2007 1:23:41 am
List:com.ubuntu.lists.ubuntu-uk

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 23:10 +0100, TheVeech wrote:

If you wanted Picasa, an easy way to install it may be to use Automatix http://www.getautomatix.com/ (Link for Feisty i386 download: http://www.getautomatix.com/apt/dists/feisty/main/binary-i386/automatix2_1.1-3.12-7.04feisty_i386.deb) which is a program that makes it very simple to install a number of programs that aren't in the official repositories. Personally I don't use Automatix and, while some people find it really helpful, others frown upon it. But at the stage of learning that you're at, it's a compromise that's probably worth taking up.

If by "compromise" you mean "might make it painful to update packages and will be highly likely to make an upgrade to the next release of ubuntu break", then yes, install automatix.

Personally I wouldn't touch it, and I don't think "we" should be advocating its use. The short term gain of quickly installing software will quickly be forgotten 6 months later when you can't upgrade the system easily using the standard tools.

Cheers, Al.