atom feed23 messages in org.perl.dbi-devRe: AutoCommit and connect_cached()
FromSent OnAttachments
David WheelerJan 31, 2005 10:28 pm
Tim BunceFeb 1, 2005 2:43 am
David WheelerFeb 1, 2005 9:16 am
Tim BunceFeb 2, 2005 2:58 am
David WheelerFeb 2, 2005 10:49 am
David WheelerFeb 2, 2005 10:57 am
Tim BunceFeb 3, 2005 7:44 am
David WheelerFeb 3, 2005 8:40 am
Tim BunceFeb 3, 2005 3:30 pm
David WheelerFeb 3, 2005 3:48 pm
Tim BunceFeb 4, 2005 2:07 am
David WheelerFeb 4, 2005 10:38 am
Sheikin SergeiFeb 4, 2005 11:31 am
Michael A ChaseFeb 4, 2005 12:22 pm
David WheelerFeb 11, 2005 11:18 am
Tim BunceFeb 12, 2005 10:11 am
David WheelerFeb 12, 2005 4:35 pm
Tim BunceFeb 13, 2005 2:44 pm
David WheelerFeb 13, 2005 5:54 pm
Tim BunceFeb 14, 2005 3:09 am
David WheelerFeb 15, 2005 10:37 am
Tim BunceFeb 15, 2005 2:21 pm
David WheelerFeb 15, 2005 9:01 pm
Subject:Re: AutoCommit and connect_cached()
From:David Wheeler (dav@kineticode.com)
Date:Feb 3, 2005 3:48:49 pm
List:org.perl.dbi-dev

On Feb 3, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Tim Bunce wrote:

Any thoughts on this, then?

Same as before - not very keen.

It'd be faster than a callback, though. ;-)

Yes. The current attribute setting post-connect would be done pre-connect so if the cached handle is okay it's returned unaltered.

Gotcha. I like it!

Should be pretty straight-forward. Are there other events for which you'd like to add callbacks? OnPrepare, perhaps? OnExecute? OnFetch?

Yes, but let's just start with the connect ones for now.

Okay. It seems pretty simple. Your initial implementation is quite straight-forward:

if ($dbh and my $oc = $dbh->{OnConnect}) { $oc->($dbh, $dsn, $user, $pass, $attr) if ref $oc eq 'CODE'; }

The only issue I can think of is that some callbacks will be called much more than others. Do you think that it's a performance issue to be checking for a callback every time the method is called when most people won't use it at all? I don't think I see a way around that, though...

Regards,

David