atom feed29 messages in org.oasis-open.lists.docbookDOCBOOK: Re: Markup for exercises
FromSent OnAttachments
Joachim ZieglerOct 9, 2002 10:21 am
Steve BallOct 9, 2002 3:21 pm
Joachim ZieglerOct 10, 2002 1:52 am
Norman WalshOct 10, 2002 5:48 am
Robert P. J. DayOct 10, 2002 6:09 am
Joachim ZieglerOct 10, 2002 8:44 am
Dave PawsonOct 10, 2002 9:53 am
Joachim ZieglerOct 10, 2002 10:02 am
Michael P. UrbanOct 10, 2002 11:34 am
Norman WalshOct 11, 2002 8:07 am
Stephan WiesnerOct 11, 2002 8:26 am
Joachim ZieglerOct 11, 2002 8:54 am
Norman WalshOct 11, 2002 9:03 am
Joachim ZieglerOct 11, 2002 9:30 am
mart...@myrnham.co.ukOct 11, 2002 9:30 am
Togan MuftuogluOct 11, 2002 12:04 pm
Joachim ZieglerOct 11, 2002 1:18 pm
Dave PawsonOct 12, 2002 2:41 am
mart...@myrnham.co.ukOct 12, 2002 3:19 am
Joachim ZieglerOct 12, 2002 5:03 am
Togan MuftuogluOct 12, 2002 6:36 am
mart...@myrnham.co.ukOct 16, 2002 12:14 am
Norman WalshOct 16, 2002 6:50 am
Togan MuftuogluOct 16, 2002 7:46 am
Norman WalshOct 16, 2002 8:11 am
Togan MuftuogluOct 16, 2002 8:31 am
mart...@myrnham.co.ukOct 16, 2002 9:11 am
Dave PawsonOct 16, 2002 10:27 am
Norman WalshOct 17, 2002 5:13 am
Subject:DOCBOOK: Re: Markup for exercises
From:Joachim Ziegler (zieg@algorilla.de)
Date:Oct 10, 2002 8:44:07 am
List:org.oasis-open.lists.docbook

Am Donnerstag, 10. Oktober 2002 14:46 schrieb Norman Walsh:

In computer hardware and software documentation? Maybe. Maybe not.

Exercises seem more like a teaching tool, an extension for tutorial documentation, perhaps. Still, the question has come up before. I wonder what else fits in that category?

I often give courses about programming and software technologies. In these course, the participants have to do a lot of exercises. Normally I use Latex to produce the handouts.

My last course was on XML and of course, *this* handout had to be written in XML itself in order to demonstrate the power of the technology. I was using a simple DTD and stylesheets of my own to produce HTML and PDF.

Now I want to change to DocBook (as Docbook is a major subject in this course and as the stylesheets are much more sophisticated than mine). I really miss an exercise-tag, but maybe that's not what DocBook was designed for.

BTW, I've written a book about learning programming. It was coded in Latex (and in German). I'm currently evaluating DocBook as a basis for the second print of this book or for some other book about programming (mainly because I like the ability to output HTML). The more I learn, the less I'm convinced that the current state of the XSL technology will produce a high quality PDF output comparable to Latex. Am I right? (I you want to peek at it: www.algorilla.de/PLMP)

If DocBook is not the right DTD for writing a book about programming (including exercises), what else in the XML world is? Should I stick with Latex?

Greetings, Joachim