atom feed6 messages in org.apache.commons.devRe: [sandbox] New sandbox component
FromSent OnAttachments
Bruno P. KinoshitaOct 26, 2014 4:41 pm
Benedikt RitterOct 27, 2014 12:44 am
Luc MaisonobeOct 27, 2014 2:10 am
Bruno P. KinoshitaOct 27, 2014 4:32 am
Bruno P. KinoshitaOct 27, 2014 4:33 am
Benedikt RitterOct 27, 2014 4:57 am
Subject:Re: [sandbox] New sandbox component
From:Bruno P. Kinoshita (brun@yahoo.com.br)
Date:Oct 27, 2014 4:33:50 am
List:org.apache.commons.dev

Thanks Luc! Wasn't aware of that one. Bruno

From: Luc Maisonobe <lu@spaceroots.org> To: de@commons.apache.org Sent: Monday, October 27, 2014 7:10 AM Subject: Re: [sandbox] New sandbox component

Le 27/10/2014 08:45, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :

No objections from my site. I think this is a good idea. Just let me know if you need help with the bootstraping of the new project. Maybe we should even announce this on announce@. There my be other projects interested in a library like this (for example Apache Tika [1])

Benedikt

[1] http://tika.apache.org/

Hello all, At the moment I'm working with data matching and record linkage, and had to port some existing string comparison algorithms found in several open source projects (fuzzy-search-tools, simmetrics, lingpipe, [lang], [codec]).

There is also an implementation of the Meyer algorithm in [collections], package org.apache.commons.collections4.sequence.

best regards, Luc

At that time I noticed LANG-591 [1], which suggests a more complex levenshtein distance algorithm. There are several other algorithms too (damerau-levenshtein, jaro, jaro-wrinkler, jaccard, bitap, q-gram, soundex, metaphone). Instead of trying to put them all in, say, [lang], I'd like to experiment with a new [text] component in the sandbox, if there are no objections. I will take a look at the existing code and its license, but most of these algorithms have good Wiki pages with pseudo code available; as well as academic papers. Maybe this component could be useful for other projects like [lang], Lucene, larsga/Duke, and Talend Open Studio. And even though my initial use case for this would be string comparison, I think it could support other use cases too. Thoughts on this? Anyone else interested on such a component? Thanks!Bruno [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-591