atom feed88 messages in net.php.lists.internalsRe: [PHP-DEV] Proposal: Array syntax
FromSent OnAttachments
Christian SchneiderNov 4, 2003 3:33 pm.patch
Rasmus LerdorfNov 4, 2003 5:07 pm
Ken TossellNov 4, 2003 5:10 pm
Andi GutmansNov 5, 2003 12:49 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 12:59 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 1:03 am
Kouber SaparevNov 5, 2003 1:48 am
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 2:07 am
s0niXNov 5, 2003 2:43 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 5, 2003 3:21 am
Mike RobinsonNov 5, 2003 3:27 am
Dirkjan OchtmanNov 5, 2003 3:45 am
Cesare D'AmicoNov 5, 2003 4:02 am
Alexey TrunyovNov 5, 2003 4:34 am
Antony DovgalNov 5, 2003 4:59 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 5:04 am
Ilia AlshanetskyNov 5, 2003 5:06 am
Magnus MäättäNov 5, 2003 5:08 am
Derick RethansNov 5, 2003 5:18 am
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 7:34 am
Nicolas ToperNov 5, 2003 7:47 am
Ilia AlshanetskyNov 5, 2003 7:56 am
Antony DovgalNov 5, 2003 8:04 am
Rasmus LerdorfNov 5, 2003 8:21 am
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 8:30 am
Andrey HristovNov 5, 2003 8:40 am
Ilia AlshanetskyNov 5, 2003 8:48 am
Andi GutmansNov 5, 2003 8:48 am
Jani TaskinenNov 5, 2003 8:50 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 5, 2003 8:51 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 8:52 am
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 8:55 am
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 8:58 am
Jani TaskinenNov 5, 2003 8:59 am
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 9:00 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 5, 2003 9:01 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 9:01 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 9:05 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 5, 2003 9:08 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 5, 2003 9:09 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 9:18 am
Romans MalinovskisNov 5, 2003 9:19 am
Andi GutmansNov 5, 2003 9:20 am
StephNov 5, 2003 9:25 am
Andrey HristovNov 5, 2003 9:25 am
Ilia AlshanetskyNov 5, 2003 9:25 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 9:30 am
41 later messages
Subject:Re: [PHP-DEV] Proposal: Array syntax
From:Ilia Alshanetsky (il@prohost.org)
Date:Nov 5, 2003 7:56:51 am
List:net.php.lists.internals

On November 5, 2003 10:34 am, Christian Schneider wrote:

PHP is a mix of C, Perl and other styles anyway, why deny it? It's strength is that it's a pragmatic and simple language but that doesn't mean that nothing should be changed ever.

PHP strength (IMHO) is it's simple and clear syntax, which allows people who come from background in other programming languages can quickly recognize and get used to. Creating confusing alternate syntaxes will bring us ever closer to Perl 6 where there are dozens of way to do the same thing. The end results in a confusing and hard to read/write language that all but the most dedicated of users refuse to use.

I don't want to break existing programs. And I don't care about range() (or even list() too much for that matter), I just recognize the fact the I'm using a lot of array() and it is both unnecessarily hard to write _and_ read.

That's bull, 5 characters is hard to write? If anything those 5 characters make it absolutely clear to ANYONE that the data is an array and not an object or a string or some other type. When I first saw the syntax is took me a few seconds to realize what it does and the problem would only be compounded when the code is found within an pre-existing complex script.

Ilia