atom feed151 messages in org.w3.public-lodRe: Is 303 really necessary?
FromSent OnAttachments
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 6:22 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 7:13 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 7:22 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 8:00 am
Giovanni TummarelloNov 4, 2010 8:21 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:23 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:27 am
Leigh DoddsNov 4, 2010 8:38 am
William WaitesNov 4, 2010 8:44 am
Giovanni TummarelloNov 4, 2010 8:50 am
Leigh DoddsNov 4, 2010 8:53 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 8:56 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:58 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:06 am
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 9:07 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 9:10 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:13 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 9:17 am
bill...@planet.nlNov 4, 2010 9:20 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:22 am
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 9:25 am
Harry HalpinNov 4, 2010 9:33 am
Robin YANGNov 4, 2010 9:52 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:55 am
David WoodNov 4, 2010 9:56 am
Mike KellyNov 4, 2010 10:12 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 10:14 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 10:17 am
David WoodNov 4, 2010 10:24 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 10:37 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 10:51 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 11:06 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:08 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 11:09 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:18 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:24 am
Robert FullerNov 4, 2010 11:38 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:39 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 11:42 am
Jörn HeesNov 4, 2010 11:46 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:46 am
Robert FullerNov 4, 2010 11:48 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:59 am
108 later messages
Subject:Re: Is 303 really necessary?
From:Kingsley Idehen (kide@openlinksw.com)
Date:Nov 4, 2010 9:17:15 am
List:org.w3.public-lod

On 11/4/10 11:50 AM, Giovanni Tummarello wrote:

I think it's an orthogonal issue to the one RDFa solves. How should I use RDFa to respond to requests to http://iandavis.com/id/me which is a URI that denotes me?

hashless?

mm one could be to return HTML + RDFa describing yourself. add a triple saying http://iandavis.com/id/me containstriplesonlyabouttheresourceandnoneaboutitselfasinformationresource

its up to clients to really care about the distinction, i personally know of no useful clients for the web of data that will visibly misbehave if a person is mistaken for a page.. so your you can certify to your customer your solution works well with "any" client

Gio,

Keyword: visibly.

Once the Web of Linked Data crystallizes, smart agents will emerge and start roaming etc.. These agents need precision, so ambiguity will cause problems. At this point there will be broader context for these matters. Please don't dismiss this matter, things are going to change quickly, we live in exponential times.

if one will come up which operates usefully on both people and pages and would benefit from making your distinction than those coding that client will definitely learn about your containstriplesonlyabouttheresourceandnoneaboutitselfasinformationresource and support it.

how about this ? :-)

as an alternative the post i pointed you earlier (the one about 203 406) did actually contain an answer i believe. 406 is perfect IMO .. I'd say a client which will care to make the distinction would learn to support it as in my previous example.

The trouble with all of this is that we are retrofitting an existing system at two levels:

1. User Perception 2. Base Infrastructure.

It isn't easy, but is doable. We just need to keep the construction out of the user realm. Middleware fixed such matters pre web, and it will fix such matters as the Web continues to blossom.

Kingsley

Regards,