atom feed11 messages in com.redhat.et-mgmt-toolsRe: [et-mgmt-tools] Virt-Manager not ...
FromSent OnAttachments
Eric DudaSep 26, 2008 2:38 am
Daniel P. BerrangeSep 26, 2008 2:42 am
Eric DudaSep 26, 2008 3:47 am
Cole RobinsonSep 26, 2008 6:51 am
Guido GüntherSep 26, 2008 8:41 am
Daniel P. BerrangeSep 26, 2008 8:47 am
Eric DudaSep 26, 2008 11:00 am
Guido GüntherOct 5, 2008 5:16 am
Daniel P. BerrangeOct 5, 2008 9:05 am
Guido GüntherOct 7, 2008 9:12 am.patch
Daniel P. BerrangeOct 7, 2008 9:37 am
Subject:Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Virt-Manager not connecting qemu:///system
From:Daniel P. Berrange (berr@redhat.com)
Date:Oct 5, 2008 9:05:08 am
List:com.redhat.et-mgmt-tools

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 02:16:54PM +0200, Guido G?nther wrote:

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 04:47:05PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

We've got this problem sorted in the 'lxc' driver and need to apply the same approach to the QEMU driver. The problem was always finding the Pseduo-TTY/PID for the monitor after restart, and associating the live config with it. We've "solved" that in LXC driver by savingt the live XML & PID to /var/run/libvirt/lxc/. It basically needs the same approach to be applied to the QEMU daemons. In addition the DNSmasq deamon needs adapting for simiarl reasons.

This would solve the problem of restarting libvirtd. How are we going to distinguish this from daemon shutdown on e.g. system reboot? Is the distros init script supposed to handle shutting down/suspending active domains on /etc/init.d/libvirtd stop?

Yep, we need to have some explicit support for shuttting down / saving active VMs on system shutdown, independant of whether the daemon restart preserves them.

We can probably distinguish by picking a specific signal for orderly shutdown of the daemon + vms, vs a simple restart. I'd like all signals to preserve running VMs by default - attempting todo orderly shutdown of VMs on reciept of signal is not great because there's no way to get info on progress of shutdown, or detect/report shutdown errors. I'd also like to avoid putting any complex application logic into initscripts though. Perhaps we should have an explicit API, or a convenient virsh command to shutdown all VMs in one go.

Daniel