|Felix Knecht||Aug 9, 2010 8:13 am|
|Felix Knecht||Aug 9, 2010 8:24 am|
|Emmanuel Lecharny||Aug 9, 2010 8:43 am|
|Stefan Seelmann||Aug 9, 2010 8:51 am|
|Kiran Ayyagari||Aug 9, 2010 11:09 am|
|Felix Knecht||Aug 11, 2010 7:08 am|
|Emmanuel Lecharny||Aug 11, 2010 7:41 am|
|Alex Karasulu||Aug 11, 2010 1:23 pm|
|Felix Knecht||Aug 12, 2010 7:23 am|
|Emmanuel Lecharny||Aug 12, 2010 7:36 am|
|Felix Knecht||Aug 16, 2010 4:57 am|
|Kiran Ayyagari||Aug 16, 2010 6:11 am|
|Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot||Aug 16, 2010 6:16 am|
|Felix Knecht||Aug 16, 2010 6:27 am|
|Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot||Aug 16, 2010 6:33 am|
|Emmanuel Lecharny||Aug 16, 2010 6:52 am|
|Subject:||Documentation -> docbook ?|
|From:||Felix Knecht (fel...@otego.com)|
|Date:||Aug 9, 2010 8:13:19 am|
If we want to switch documentation to docbook I think it's time to talk about it, so we can get documentation ready in parallel to the release of a next release of the application.
It seems I'm not the only one playing around with docbook plugins.
I'm the same opinion like Stefan, that the docbkx plugin  can be a good and quite easy solution to generate html/pdf from docbook.
Apart from moving existing documentation and updating it there are some other task which are IMO to be solved before starting docbook documentation:
1. About which documentation are we talking? Are only the manuals for the Studio/ApacheDS application meant (I hope so) or do we talk about the whole website?
2. What kind of customization do we want/need? ATM we have a recognizable layout for all the directory stuff. Shall this layout be kept for docbook documentation if possible (html?, pdf?, ..?)?
3. When talking only about manuals -> how shall the be integrated into the existing website?
4. How can the generate docbook docs be deployed and when shall they be deployed?
5. How dependent are the docs in relation to the applications - are the docbook docs a separate module or are they included as module in the related application? IMO the docs should be releasable independent of a release of he application, otherwise it's difficult to fix documentation bugs.
There're probably more task to be solved before, so please complete the list.
Do other things (e.g. like a favourite docbook editor) also need to be discussed?
Do we need to vote in the end of this discussion?
PS: It seemed to me that - after various notes on the dev/user list - it's time to start this discussion. If it's the wrong time, please insist.