atom feed21 messages in org.apache.incubator.callback-devRe: audit of configuration
FromSent OnAttachments
Brian LeRouxNov 13, 2013 2:36 pm
Steven GillNov 13, 2013 2:44 pm
Michal MocnyNov 13, 2013 6:39 pm
Brian LeRouxNov 13, 2013 8:57 pm
Michal MocnyNov 14, 2013 6:19 am
Braden ShepherdsonNov 14, 2013 9:10 am
Brian LeRouxNov 14, 2013 11:40 am
Braden ShepherdsonNov 14, 2013 12:19 pm
Michal MocnyNov 14, 2013 12:28 pm
Brian LeRouxNov 14, 2013 1:35 pm
Josh SorefNov 14, 2013 3:11 pm
Michal MocnyNov 14, 2013 6:33 pm
Brian LeRouxNov 14, 2013 6:45 pm
Michal MocnyNov 14, 2013 7:57 pm
Jonathan Bond-CaronNov 15, 2013 4:59 am
Andrew GrieveNov 15, 2013 5:58 am
Marcel KinardNov 15, 2013 5:59 am
Josh SorefNov 15, 2013 6:27 am
Andrew GrieveNov 15, 2013 7:29 am
Jonathan Bond-CaronNov 15, 2013 8:10 am
Andrew GrieveNov 15, 2013 8:26 am
Subject:Re: audit of configuration
From:Braden Shepherdson (bra@chromium.org)
Date:Nov 14, 2013 12:19:11 pm
List:org.apache.incubator.callback-dev

As requested elsewhere, a summary of the various configuration and metadata files in Cordova. I'm speaking here of a complete CLI project, but I'll note which bits are CLI-only, and which apply to Plugman-only projects as well.

First, the XML files:

$PROJECT/www/config.xml - Top-level configuration for a CLI project: start page, app name, splash screens, etc. - Nickname: "app config.xml" - CLI only - Written by: users - Read by: CLI, Plugman

$PROJECT/platforms/<platform>/.../config.xml (or $NATIVEPROJECT/.../config.xml for Plugman-only). - Final configuration loaded by the native code at runtime. - Nickname: "platform config.xml" - Written by: Plugman during prepare step - Read by: Native platforms - Automatically generated

$PROJECT/platforms/<platform>/.../www/config.xml - Dummy config.xml, a copy of the top-level app config.xml above. This is an accident of how CLI copies the www/ directory and should be ignored.

$PROJECT/platforms/<platform>/.../defaults.xml - Default configuration values for each platform. - Used by CLI and Plugman as the basis for building the platform config.xml above: the final platform config.xml = defaults.xml + plugin changes + app config.xml changes. - CLI only (present but ignored by Plugman-only projects) - Written by: Cordova platform developers - Read by: Plugman, CLI

$SOMEPLUGIN/plugin.xml - Specifies various bits of metadata about a plugin. - Written by: plugin authors - Read by: Plugman, CLI

And then the other metadata files:

$PROJECT/plugins/<platform>.json - Metadata about what plugins are installed (top-level or as dependencies) on this platform, and what config-file changes have been made. - Written by: Plugman - Read by: Plugman

$PROJECT/.cordova/config.json - Project-specific configuration for CLI. Sets the project name, as well as allowing users to override where libraries (like cordova-android, cordova-ios, etc.) are lazy-loaded from (local disk, different versions, etc.) - CLI only - Written by: cordova create (template), users (edits) - Read by: CLI

$HOME/.cordova/config.json - Global configuration for CLI. Same format as config.json above. - CLI only - Written by: CLI (template), users (edits) - Ready by: CLI

$HOME/.plugman/config - Global configuration for Plugman. Stores username and auth tokens for "plugman publish", etc. - Written by: Plugman, users (if they want to override the plugin repo to not be http://registry.cordova.io - Read by: Plugman

Note that this is only Cordova-specific things, and doesn't mention Android's AndroidManifest.xml or iOS's plist files, among many other platform-specific files.

Hopefully this makes things a little clearer - I don't think this is written down anywhere right now, just in my and Anis's heads.

Braden