atom feed21 messages in org.kde.kde-core-develRequest for comments: New address boo...
FromSent OnAttachments
Cornelius SchumacherOct 13, 2001 1:11 pm
Daniel MolkentinOct 13, 2001 1:54 pm
George StaikosOct 13, 2001 2:07 pm
Shawn GordonOct 13, 2001 2:24 pm
Daniel MolkentinOct 13, 2001 2:30 pm
Alex ZepedaOct 13, 2001 2:41 pm
Shawn GordonOct 13, 2001 3:10 pm
Ellis WhiteheadOct 13, 2001 4:35 pm
Cornelius SchumacherOct 14, 2001 2:18 am
Cornelius SchumacherOct 14, 2001 2:41 am
Rik HemsleyOct 14, 2001 4:42 am
Cornelius SchumacherOct 14, 2001 6:22 am
Cornelius SchumacherOct 14, 2001 9:31 am
Rik HemsleyOct 14, 2001 10:49 am
Cornelius SchumacherOct 14, 2001 2:50 pm
Carsten PfeifferOct 14, 2001 3:10 pm
Don SandersOct 15, 2001 8:02 pm
Cornelius SchumacherOct 16, 2001 1:31 am
Don SandersOct 16, 2001 4:28 am
Cornelius SchumacherOct 16, 2001 7:09 am
Don SandersOct 16, 2001 4:28 pm
Subject:Request for comments: New address book API
From:Cornelius Schumacher (schu@kde.org)
Date:Oct 13, 2001 1:11:19 pm
List:org.kde.kde-core-devel

Hi developers,

in kdepim/kabc there is a new address book API for KDE. It is meant as replacement for libkab (in kdelibs/kab). The new API should solve most of the problems of the old one. I propose to do the following:

1.) Fix remaining problems of the new API (I need your input here :-) 2.) Move new API to kdelibs. 3.) Adapt applications to use the new API.

Please have a look at the new API and send me your comments.

Key features of the new API:

- Value based interface, addressbook entry data is implicitly shared. - Address book entries are identified by a unique id, which can be used as a reference. - vCard backend (RFC 2425). - Locking mechanism to support concurrent access to the address book by multiple processes, including notification on change of addressbook by other process. - Dialog for selecting address book entries, supports mouse and keyboard selection, supports automatic name completion. - GUI client for creating, viewing and modifying address book data. This is aimed at developers not end users. - Tool for converting data written with libkab to new format.

Regards, Cornelius