atom feed15 messages in org.apache.tomcat.usersAJP Flush Packet causing text/plain o...
FromSent OnAttachments
Larry ReislerSep 24, 2007 1:40 pm
Rainer JungSep 24, 2007 11:33 pm
Larry ReislerSep 25, 2007 2:50 am
Rainer JungSep 25, 2007 3:38 am
Jim JagielskiSep 25, 2007 5:33 am
Mladen TurkSep 25, 2007 8:04 am
Christopher SchultzSep 25, 2007 11:49 am
Rainer JungSep 25, 2007 11:57 am
Larry ReislerSep 25, 2007 1:44 pm
Martin GaintySep 25, 2007 4:26 pm
mgai...@hotmail.comSep 25, 2007 9:15 pm
Bill BarkerSep 25, 2007 10:48 pm
Rémy MaucheratSep 26, 2007 5:12 am
Mark DeneenOct 3, 2007 6:58 am
Filip Hanik - Dev ListsOct 3, 2007 4:33 pm
Subject:AJP Flush Packet causing text/plain output
From:Larry Reisler (lar@vringo.com)
Date:Sep 24, 2007 1:40:40 pm
List:org.apache.tomcat.users

We recently switched our development JBOSS instance from 4.05GA to 4.21GA, where
we are have been using mod_jk for connecting an Apache front end server (2.2) to
the Tomcat AppServer. We have noticed periodic times when the apache web server
will return data with a content-type of plain/text (the server default) instead
of the real content-type, and a chunked encoding (even if the AppServer was
producing a non-chunked content). We tried switch to mod_proxy_ajp, but got the
same result.

A bit of sleuthing (2 days X 2 engineers) revealed that the AJP connection on
Tomcat is sending a SEND_BODY_CHUNK (which I assume is a flush packet)
periodically that seem to be confusing mod_jk. We can see in the mod_jk and
mod_proxy_ajp debug log that the correct headers are coming from the Tomcat
server. However, it seems like mod_jk and mod_proxy_ajp are losing all the
header information regarding the packet (including the Powered by headers,
content-type, content-length, cookies, etc.).

In normal operation, for a sample small transaction, we would see this sequence
in response: SEND_HEADERS SEND_BODY_CHUNK END_RESPONSE

When the output would come out as text/plain, we would see this sequence: SEND_BODY_CHUNK SEND_HEADERS SEND_BODY_CHUNK END_RESPONSE

Is there something we should have configured differently so that mod_jk or
mod_proxy_ajp will behave better?