atom feed4 messages in com.redhat.linux-lvmRe: [linux-lvm] device /dev/sdb1 not ...
FromSent OnAttachments
Gilles GuiotMay 7, 2008 7:59 am
xdubMay 8, 2008 1:56 am
Gilles GuiotMay 9, 2008 1:50 am
Stuart D. GathmanMay 9, 2008 7:37 am
Subject:Re: [linux-lvm] device /dev/sdb1 not found or ignored by filtering
From:Gilles Guiot (gill@saros.fr)
Date:May 9, 2008 1:50:33 am
List:com.redhat.linux-lvm

Hello and thanks for the answer. For "political" (indeed) reasons, we can't use the raid 5......

and there is a partition using the whole second "disk" (ie raid array), it is sdb 1. When I type the command pvcreate /dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1 i get the following message....device /dev/sdb1 not found or ignored by filtering

xdub a écrit :

Hi,

No sure what you want to do with your 2 raid1 arrays... and why you want to incorporate the first one into LV (?).

Did you partition your second array ? if not, you can create a PV like this: pvcreate /dev/sdb. "pvcreate" can initialize a disk or partition.

- pvcreate /dev/sdb - vgcreate vg00 /dev/sdb

Again, no sure what you want to do, but with 4 HD you should consider to build raid5 (hardware raid) and then create PV, VG, LV.

Regards

Gilles Guiot wrote:

Hello Everybody

I have two raid 1 arrays on a Dell PowerEdge 2950, 1) 2*500 Go 2) 2*750 Go

I need to use LVM, to create a LV on the second raid array, in which i will afterwards incorporate the first raid array. I have the latest debian distro installed, with kernel updates, and LVM2 is installed.

I encounter my first problem when typing pvcreate /dev/sdb1. ( the partition of the second raid array) I get the message : device /dev/sdb1 not found or ignored by filtering I checked /etc/lvm/lvm.conf, and I commented out the line about the filter. After a reboot, no more luck. I tried to circumvent the problem by booting with an ubuntu CD, but i get the same error message. Could anybody tip me about what's wrong and more importantly suggest solutions to me ? :-)

Thanks a lot in advance.