atom feed8 messages in org.apache.jackrabbit.dev[jr3] Repository microkernel
FromSent OnAttachments
Jukka ZittingFeb 17, 2010 7:47 am
Stefan GuggisbergFeb 18, 2010 2:50 am
Alexander KlimetschekFeb 18, 2010 4:13 am
Marcel ReuteggerFeb 19, 2010 1:07 am
Thomas MüllerFeb 19, 2010 2:11 am
Marcel ReuteggerFeb 19, 2010 7:02 am
Alexander KlimetschekFeb 19, 2010 7:24 am
Thomas MüllerFeb 19, 2010 7:45 am
Subject:[jr3] Repository microkernel
From:Jukka Zitting (jukk@gmail.com)
Date:Feb 17, 2010 7:47:43 am
List:org.apache.jackrabbit.dev

Hi,

Assuming we have a unified persistence layer (see the other thread), it should be possible to implement a relatively simple repository "microkernel" that implements just enough functionality for higher level components like search, versioning, node types, observation, etc. to be implemented on top of it.

Such a microkernel would support two main goals:

* modularity: It would be easy to use things like OSGi to replace or plug in different higher level components.

* portability: It would be possible to port the microkernel to other environments like PHP, Ruby or a plain old Apache module in C

Achieving this would probably require fairly extensive changes to our current architecture.

Do you think this would be worth the effort, and (if yes) how should we approach this task?

BR,