atom feed13 messages in org.perl.beginnersRE: Check for integer
FromSent OnAttachments
Donnie JonesJun 29, 2002 6:02 pm
John W. KrahnJun 29, 2002 6:15 pm
ShawnJun 29, 2002 8:06 pm
Tara CalishainJun 29, 2002 8:49 pm
Timothy JohnsonJun 29, 2002 11:13 pm
Timothy JohnsonJun 29, 2002 11:20 pm
Timothy JohnsonJun 29, 2002 11:30 pm
Connie ChanJun 30, 2002 12:02 am
Donnie JonesJun 30, 2002 3:08 pm
John W. KrahnJun 30, 2002 4:28 pm
Donnie JonesJun 30, 2002 4:50 pm
Timothy JohnsonJun 30, 2002 9:57 pm
Tim Maher/CONSULTIXAug 23, 2002 10:02 am
Subject:RE: Check for integer
From:Timothy Johnson (tjoh@sandisk.com)
Date:Jun 29, 2002 11:30:52 pm
List:org.perl.beginners

Of course, once again I forgot to explain myself.

/^(+|-)?\d+$/ means:

/^ : Starting at the beginning of the variable (+|-) : '+' or '-' (see next line) ? : Match zero or one of the above character \d+ : Followed by one or more digits $/ : Followed by the end of the variable

-----Original Message----- From: Timothy Johnson To: 'Shawn '; 'Donnie Jones '; 'begi@perl.org ' Sent: 6/29/02 11:20 PM Subject: RE: Check for integer

Except that their checking for an integer, so it's even simpler than that.

if($scalar =~ /^(+|-)?\d+$/){ print "It's an integer!\n"; }

Will check for an integer, with or without a plus or minus sign.

-----Original Message----- From: Shawn To: Donnie Jones; begi@perl.org Sent: 6/29/02 8:07 PM Subject: Re: Check for integer

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donnie Jones" <donn@yahoo.com> To: <begi@perl.org> Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2002 8:03 PM Subject: Check for integer

Hello,

Hello Donnie,

I was wondering if anyone knows how someone can test the value held by a variable in perl to see if it is an integer?

My current project is using the perl DBI, and I was users to enter data, but to make sure that they don't enter strings in integer fields...

You can check the input like this:

unless($string=~/^\d+(\.\d+)$/) { error... }

NOTE: This will not work for scientific notation, etc.

Please help.

Thanks,

--Donnie