atom feed7 messages in org.apache.qpid.protonRe: improving cross language maintain...
FromSent OnAttachments
Rafael SchlomingDec 19, 2013 5:49 am
Ken GiustiDec 19, 2013 11:44 am
Rob GodfreyDec 20, 2013 2:46 am
Rafael SchlomingDec 20, 2013 7:57 am
Fraser AdamsDec 20, 2013 8:43 am
Rafael SchlomingJan 7, 2014 10:30 am
Rafael SchlomingJan 8, 2014 5:19 am
Subject:Re: improving cross language maintainability
From:Fraser Adams (fras@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date:Dec 20, 2013 8:43:00 am
List:org.apache.qpid.proton

I've been following this thread with interest and I guess that Rob's comment

"

However I think that would require us to be organised differently with a recognition that the Engine and Messenger are conceptually separate (with Messenger depending on the Engine API, and having no more authority over defining/testing the engine API than any other client "

Struck some resonance.

I think perhaps the layering is OK if you're familiar with the code base and
perhaps it's more about "packaging" than layering, but FWIW coming into proton
quite "cold" it seems like messenger and engine are essentially "combined". Now
I know that's not the case now from the responses to my "how does it all hang
together" question of a few weeks ago, but in terms of packaging that's still
kind of the case.

So what I mean by that is that qpid::messaging and proton messenger are as far
as has been discussed with me "peer" APIs - both high level that can achieve
similar things albeit with different semantics, whereas engine is a lower level
API.

Why is it in that case that the proton library is built that contains both
messenger and engine? OK, so it's convenient, but as far as I'm aware neither
qpid::messaging nor Ted's dispatch router actually use messenger at all, they
both use engine? That would suggest to me that engine and messenger probably
ought to be exposed as separate libraries? (and presumably there's a similar
position in Java where the JMS implementation is engine not messenger based -
though I've not looked at the jar packaging).

I guess (perhaps related) it just might be better if messenger was in a separate
source tree, which I'd agree might be a faff, but would clarify the hierarchical
rather than peer relationship between messenger and engine.

So I guess that my take is that Rafael is perfectly accurate when he says that
"I believe they are currently layered precisely the way you describe" that certainly seems to be the case at the logical level, but at the
"physical" level it's an awful lot less clear of the layering - certainly from
the perspective of a novice trying to navigate the code base.

I'd have to agree also with Rob about the horizontal scaling aspects of lack of
comments and documentation, particularly with respect to engine. I'm currently
trying to get a JavaScript_messenger_ working because that seems tractable
given the examples and documentation around messenger (though as you know even
there I've had a fair few complications) my personal preference/familiarity is
however around the JMS/qpid::messaging API and I'd ultimately quite like to have
a JavaScript "binding" for that, but at this stage I wouldn't know where to
begin and I'd probably end up "reverse engineering" the work Gordon has done
with qpid::messaging and/or Rob and co. are doing with the new JMS
implementation.

I'd be interested to hear from Gordon and Ted about how they went about building
capability on top of the engine API.

I hope I'm not coming across as over-critical - email is a bit rubbish at
conveying emotion :-) I guess that I just want to add my 2p from the perspective
of someone coming in new with no previous exposure to the code base, which is
hopefully a fairly objective position. Best regards, Frase