atom feed24 messages in org.kde.kde-core-develRe: Intended organization of KDE Fram...
FromSent OnAttachments
Kevin OttensJun 6, 2011 3:04 pm
Albert Astals CidJun 6, 2011 3:17 pm
Kevin OttensJun 6, 2011 4:14 pm
Albert Astals CidJun 6, 2011 4:26 pm
Kevin OttensJun 6, 2011 4:38 pm
Inge WallinJun 6, 2011 11:39 pm
Albert Astals CidJun 7, 2011 12:46 am
Aaron J. SeigoJun 7, 2011 1:21 am
Manuel "Sput" NickschasJun 7, 2011 2:51 am
Andreas PakulatJun 7, 2011 3:39 am
John LaytJun 7, 2011 3:41 am
John LaytJun 7, 2011 4:20 am
Albert Astals CidJun 7, 2011 10:57 am
MarkJun 8, 2011 11:48 am
John LaytJun 8, 2011 12:27 pm
John LaytJun 8, 2011 12:27 pm
Albert Astals CidJun 8, 2011 1:29 pm
Ingo KlöckerJun 26, 2011 12:45 pm
Albert Astals CidJun 26, 2011 1:12 pm
Ingo KlöckerJun 27, 2011 1:18 pm
Aaron J. SeigoJun 28, 2011 9:27 am
John LaytJun 28, 2011 2:57 pm
Nicolás AlvarezJul 2, 2011 7:31 pm
David JarvieJul 5, 2011 4:18 am
Subject:Re: Intended organization of KDE Frameworks
From:John Layt (jla@kde.org)
Date:Jun 28, 2011 2:57:51 pm
List:org.kde.kde-core-devel

On Tuesday 28 Jun 2011 17:27:35 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

On Monday, June 27, 2011 22:18:08 Ingo Klöcker wrote:

Localization is not only about user visible texts, It is also about kconfig having per language keys, it is about kstandarddirs::locate being able to find localized icons, etc.

I hear you, but by the definition of Tier 1 none of this can be used in Tier 1 frameworks because "Tier 1 frameworks depend only on Qt itself and no other Qt based framework".

other possibilities include:

* approving a "tier 1 dep exception" for localization; this was discussed at Platform 11 as possible, though probably not preferable to:

* improving localization in Qt5 and merging in the best bits of KDE in this regard there

there is alread some work going on for his which started at Platform 11. i don't know what the current status of it is and how many of the localization bits will land in Qt5, but this would be, imho at least, the best possible result.

That would be me then :-) I'll have some emails for the list shortly on these subjects including the discussions at QtCS. In short, most of what we want looks likely to happen.

However, its not all about the Locale stuff I'm doing, stuff like the KStandardDirs::locate is more about paths and platform plugins which guys like David are looking into. I'm not sure when a library would need Icons, but they will sometimes need Translation and Locale for error messages, and paths to grab other stuff.

So yeah, a lot of this depends on getting stuff into Qt to work better with KDE as a supported Platform.

John.