atom feed6 messages in org.gnome.gdm-listRe: Failed to start the display serve...
FromSent OnAttachments
Marc DuponcheelJan 2, 2003 4:45 pm
Marc DuponcheelJan 5, 2003 10:23 am
GeorgeJan 5, 2003 1:26 pm
Marc DuponcheelJan 5, 2003 3:19 pm
GeorgeJan 6, 2003 8:59 am
Marc DuponcheelJan 11, 2003 7:14 am
Subject:Re: Failed to start the display server several times in a short time period; disabling display :0
From:Marc Duponcheel (ma@offline.be)
Date:Jan 5, 2003 3:19:57 pm
List:org.gnome.gdm-list

On 2003 Jan 05, George wrote:

in appendix: gdm.conf and gdm.syslog

again, it looks like the greeter dies

Thanks vary much George,

Hmmm, can you try running gdmgreeter instead of gdmlogin?

I tried it (forgot to mention, sorry) and it looped and bailed out as well. I just captured a debug enable=true syslog and it looks similar. It seems like the SIGUSR2 handling between processess is somewhat broken.

It is more likely that either a new version of the gtk/gnome libs is hitting a bug in the greeter or the other way around. So perhaps seeing if the graphical greeter works might be an indication of such problems.

I admit that I should not run all that latest stuff.

By the way I am not complaining, (I am a big boy ;-)), all I want to to is rapport and help.