|Bob Stayton||Dec 14, 2011 12:21 pm|
|Subject:||[docbook-tc] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 14 December 2011|
|From:||Bob Stayton (bo...@sagehill.net)|
|Date:||Dec 14, 2011 12:21:12 pm|
DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 14 December 2011 =============================================================
The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 14 December 2011 at 01:00p EDT for 60 minutes.
1. Roll call
Present: Paul Grosso, Dick Hamilton, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph, Jirka Kosek, Larry Rowland, Bob Stayton, Norm Walsh
2. Accepted the minutes  of the previous meeting.
3. Next meeting: 18 January 2012
4. Review of the agenda.
Add 5a: XSD schema files.
5. Review of open action items
a. Bob to add contributed Publisher's stylesheets to the XSL distribution. CONTINUED
b. Norm to post Simplfied DocBook 5.0 to docbook.org. CONTINUED
c. Gerson to propose content models for result element(s) (RFE 3163121). CONTINUED
d. Norm will clarify the resolution of RFE 3107140 aconym expansion inline CONTINUED
e. Scott to reconvene the Publishers Subcommittee to discuss the RFEs. COMPLETED
f. Norm to incorporate Larry's help assembly doc  into The Definive Guide. CONTINUED
g. Norm to publish 5.1 beta to include XLink changes. COMPLETED
h. Norm to publish Simplified, Website, and Slides schemas based on DocBook 5. CONTINUED
i. Bob to prepare simplified assembly schema and circulate through the mailing list. COMPLETED
j. Norm to clarify in TDG that DocBook common attributes on structure are normally copied to the output root element. CONTINUED
k. Paul to submit a revised multimedia proposal that is backwards compatible. COMPLETED
5a. Norm handcrafted XSL schema files because the conversion from RNG was not sufficient. He published them, and received feedback about ambiguities.
ACTION: Norm to resolve ambiguity problems with XSD and publish XSD 5.0 and 5.1b again.
6. DocBook assembly
Reviewed Bob's simplified assembly proposal.  There was general agreement with the proposed changes. The one remaining issue is naming the metadata container elements.
There are two uses of metadata:
1. Metadata about elements in the assembly file. This information could document the author or revision history of a assembly, structure, resource, module element. It could even include a title that would be referenced by a content management system, but generally this metadata does not appear in assembled output.
2. Metadata to override info elements contained in referenced content. This metadata could be expressed in the output.
Some wanted to use info for metadata about the assembly elements themselves, following the pattern of other docbook elements where an info element documents its parent.
Bob mentioned that using info in module where content is being specified was confusing, since that location implies using info as an override.
Larry pointed out that the element name "override" in module was not always appropriate. In the case of a module that specifies renderas="chapter" and has no resourceref attribute, then a title specified in that module would not be overriding anything. Perhaps "contentinfo" would be more general.
ACTION: Bob to write up an assembly schema modeling the info elements with suggested names for discussion next month.
7. Extended XLink support
Norm just published a 5.1 beta with XLink support. We will discuss it next month.
8. Transclusion in DocBook
Continue to keep on hold as the W3C Core working group is discussion XInclude improvements.
9. Multimedia support in DocBook 5.
Discussed Paul's revised proposal. Some questions about special attributes like classid versus using param elements. Paul felt special attributes were easier to use.
Jirka: "autoplay" versus "autostart"? HTML5 uses "autoplay", so DocBook will use that and transform it "autostart" for HTML4 output.
What about "poster", which provides a static image as fallback for a video? Suggested using imageobject with role="poster" rather than creating another new element.
ACTION: Norm to add new media support to DocBook 6.0 beta.
10. Review of Requests for Enhancement
To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):
RFEs to revisit for 6.0 1907003 biblioid content model too broad
RFEs under discussion 2820947 Ability to transclude text 3035565 Allow sections at any level 3107140 aconym expansion inline 3156768 <result> tag 3384939 db.xlink.type.attribute is too narrowly defined 3439101 MusicXML in DocBook: incorrect use of docbook
 http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201111/msg00005.html  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201108/msg00018.html  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201112/msg00000.html  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/201111/msg00014.html
Bob Stayton Sagehill Enterprises bo...@sagehill.net