atom feed25 messages in edu.ku.nhm.mailman.taxacomRe: [Taxacom] Biodiversity Informatic...
FromSent OnAttachments
Roger HyamAug 4, 2009 7:17 am
Richard ZanderAug 4, 2009 8:05 am
John GrehanAug 4, 2009 8:20 am
bt...@dsmz.deAug 4, 2009 8:53 am
Francisco Welter-SchultesAug 4, 2009 9:07 am
Mary BarkworthAug 4, 2009 9:24 am
Schindel, DavidAug 4, 2009 10:18 am
Richard PyleAug 4, 2009 5:48 pm
Kevin RichardsAug 4, 2009 6:20 pm
dipt...@freeler.nlAug 4, 2009 11:37 pm
Richard PyleAug 5, 2009 12:02 am
bt...@dsmz.deAug 5, 2009 12:25 am
Richard PyleAug 5, 2009 12:26 am
bt...@dsmz.deAug 5, 2009 12:58 am
Tony...@csiro.auAug 5, 2009 11:23 pm
Stephen ThorpeAug 5, 2009 11:33 pm
Tony...@csiro.auAug 6, 2009 12:00 am
Stephen ThorpeAug 6, 2009 12:19 am
Tony...@csiro.auAug 6, 2009 12:22 am
Stephen ThorpeAug 6, 2009 12:39 am
Roger HyamAug 6, 2009 12:49 am
Tony...@csiro.auAug 11, 2009 7:08 pm
Stephen ThorpeAug 11, 2009 7:34 pm
Tony...@csiro.auAug 11, 2009 7:54 pm
Bob MesibovAug 11, 2009 9:10 pm
Subject:Re: [Taxacom] Biodiversity Informatics on wikipedia - contributions welcome
From:Stephen Thorpe (s.th@auckland.ac.nz)
Date:Aug 6, 2009 12:19:33 am
List:edu.ku.nhm.mailman.taxacom

Sounds to me like you have written it off, but I wonder if you have looked at it much lately, as the "bare bones" are starting to gain weight! If it isn't a true database, then it is BETTER than a database. It can do anything a database can do, and more, if you know how it works properly. Although the main taxon pages are strictly formatted, anything can go on the associated talk pages. It can handle the following features: (1) synonymy (2) homonymy (3) images (4) links to pdfs and other websites (5) distribution (6) associated organisms (7) disputed classifications

Basically, Wikispecies is fast becoming a "hub" with links to other relevant websites, and also a library and structured bibliography of epic proportions...

Just for one average example, have a browse through Leptofoeninae:

http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Leptofoeninae

Stephen

Quoting Tony@csiro.au:

It's true! I guess someone else can fix my omission, maybe... - I tend not to look at Wikispecies myself very much, finding it a bit "bare bones" for many purposes... also not a true database (methinks) although aspiring to some of the same goals.

Regards - Tony

-----Original Message----- From: Stephen Thorpe [mailto:s.th@auckland.ac.nz] Sent: Thursday, 6 August 2009 4:33 PM To: Rees, Tony (CMAR, Hobart) Cc: roge@mac.com; taxa@mailman.nhm.ku.edu Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Biodiversity Informatics on wikipedia - contributions welcome

Tony, Is it just me, or have you just managed to write a whole lot on Wikipedia about taxonomic databases without even a mention of Wikipedia's somewhat relevant sister project, Wikispecies???? Cheers, Stephen

Quoting Tony@csiro.au:

Dear all, (and Roger),

As a "Biodiversity Informatics" and biological data management person myself, I have been somewhat underwhelmed by the treatment of this topic to date on Wikipedia (basically almost nothing on the designated page, plus a competing page "Biodiversity Information" that said even less), so I have made a start at restructuring the relevant page: you can see my efforts at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiversity_Informatics

As stated above it is just a start, plenty more to do, so anyone interested is welcome to pitch in. There is also a page for comments and general discussion at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Biodiversity_Informatics

I decided it might also be helpful to create an associated page for taxonomic databases, now done, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxonomic_database

Happy wikitinkering/wikiimproving,

Regards - Tony

Tony Rees Manager, Divisional Data Centre, CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research, GPO Box 1538, Hobart, Tasmania 7001, Australia Ph: 0362 325318 (Int: +61 362 325318) Fax: 0362 325000 (Int: +61 362 325000) e-mail: Tony@csiro.au Manager, OBIS Australia regional node, http://www.obis.org.au/ Biodiversity informatics research activities: http://www.cmar.csiro.au/datacentre/biodiversity.htm Personal info: http://www.fishbase.org/collaborators/collaboratorsummary.cfm?id=1566

-----Original Message----- From: taxa@mailman.nhm.ku.edu [mailto:taxa@mailman.nhm.ku.edu] On Behalf Of Roger Hyam Sent: Wednesday, 5 August 2009 12:18 AM To: Taxacom Subject: [Taxacom] New Blog Post: Calling Time on Biological Nomenclature

http://www.hyam.net/blog/archives/509

(1) http://taxacom.markmail.org

Or (2) a Google search specified as: site:mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom your search terms here

---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.