atom feed17 messages in org.apache.hadoop.zookeeper-userEmbedding ZK in another application
FromSent OnAttachments
Asankha C. PereraApr 23, 2010 10:28 am
Vishal KApr 23, 2010 11:04 am
Mahadev KonarApr 23, 2010 11:20 am
Asankha C. PereraApr 23, 2010 11:41 am
Mahadev KonarApr 23, 2010 11:54 am
Ted DunningApr 23, 2010 12:02 pm
Vishal KApr 25, 2010 11:52 am
Vishal KApr 28, 2010 8:22 pm
Ted DunningApr 28, 2010 10:54 pm
Vishal KApr 29, 2010 7:13 am
Vishal KApr 29, 2010 8:47 am
Patrick HuntApr 29, 2010 8:49 am
Chad HarringtonApr 29, 2010 11:22 am
Mahadev KonarApr 29, 2010 11:31 am
Patrick HuntApr 29, 2010 11:33 am
Bjorn BorudNov 2, 2010 2:53 am
Bjorn BorudNov 2, 2010 3:22 am
Subject:Embedding ZK in another application
From:Asankha C. Perera (asan@apache.org)
Date:Apr 23, 2010 10:28:41 am
List:org.apache.hadoop.zookeeper-user

Hi All

I'm very new to ZK, and am looking at embeding ZK into an app that needs cluster management - and the objective is to use ZK to notify application cluster control operations (e.g. shutdown etc) across nodes.

I came across this post [1] from the user list by Ted Dunning from some months back : "My experience with Katta has led me to believe that embedding a ZK in a product is almost always a bad idea. - The problems are that you can't administer the Zookeeper cluster independently and that the cluster typically goes down when the associated service goes down."

However, I believe that both the above are fine to live with for the application under consideration, as ZK will be used only to coordinate the larger application. Is there anything else that needs to be considered - and can I safely shutdown the clientPort since the application is always in the same JVM - but, if I do that how would I "connect" to ZK thereafter ?

thanks and regards asankha

[1] http://markmail.org/message/tjonwec7p7dhfpms