atom feed1 message in org.apache.couchdb.devCloudant & IBM: Our Commitment to Apa...
FromSent OnAttachments
Adam KocoloskiFeb 24, 2014 6:29 am
Subject:Cloudant & IBM: Our Commitment to Apache CouchDB
From:Adam Kocoloski (ad@cloudant.com)
Date:Feb 24, 2014 6:29:26 am
List:org.apache.couchdb.dev

Apache CouchDB means a great deal to me, and to Cloudant as a company. Cloudant
and CouchDB have grown alongside each other over the past several years in one
of the more authentic vendor/community collaborations I can think of in Apache
history. Today marks the next step in Cloudant’s growth as we enter into a
definitive agreement to become part of IBM.

What does this mean for CouchDB? I would not have agreed to this transaction if
I had any concerns about Cloudant’s ability to continue its contributions and
collaboration with Apache CouchDB. IBM has a strong track record in open source
software and a productive relationship with Apache; in fact, IBM was
instrumental in bringing CouchDB to the ASF many years ago. IBM is fully
supportive of our efforts here, and I’m looking forward to bringing increased
resources to bear in support of the project.

CouchDB has the potential to shape the future of distributed data management and
computing. 2013 was a year of tremendous progress, as we doubled our committer
base and shipped no fewer than eight releases. Already in 2014 we’ve seen
amazing progress on long-standing initiatives to enhance the core of the system.
The timing is right — in the market and for the community — to take the next big
step forward. With your help, that is exactly what we will do.

Truly, the future of CouchDB is CouchDB.