atom feed21 messages in nz.co.katipo.lists.kohaRe: [Koha] LibLime Enterprise Koha Q&A
FromSent OnAttachments
Joshua FerraroSep 15, 2009 2:15 pm
Kyle HallSep 15, 2009 2:35 pm
Chris CormackSep 15, 2009 2:52 pm
Chris NighswongerSep 15, 2009 3:08 pm
Joann RansomSep 15, 2009 3:14 pm
Piotr WejmanSep 15, 2009 3:26 pm
Brendan GallagherSep 15, 2009 9:07 pm
paul POULAINSep 16, 2009 1:15 am
Liz ReaSep 16, 2009 11:01 am
Daniel GrobaniSep 16, 2009 2:19 pm
Reed WadeSep 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Chris NighswongerSep 16, 2009 3:25 pm
Owen LeonardSep 16, 2009 6:51 pm
paul POULAINSep 17, 2009 12:44 am
paul POULAINSep 17, 2009 1:11 am
Thomas DuklethSep 18, 2009 9:36 am
Thomas DuklethSep 18, 2009 9:43 am
Thomas DuklethSep 18, 2009 10:44 am
MJ RaySep 22, 2009 2:56 am
paul POULAINSep 22, 2009 6:22 am
Joe AtzbergerSep 22, 2009 8:05 am
Subject:Re: [Koha] LibLime Enterprise Koha Q&A
From:Chris Nighswonger (cnig@foundations.edu)
Date:Sep 16, 2009 3:25:51 pm
List:nz.co.katipo.lists.koha

Hi Josh, et al.,

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Daniel Grobani <dgro@samuelmerritt.edu> wrote:

Hi,

I just got off the phone with Joshua Ferraro. My library is a LibLime customer, and we had some business to discuss.

I took advantage of the opportunity to express the concern that I share with many others about LibLime making their code available to the community. He said, "We will not be making our git repo public as it contains customer-sensitive data."

We are not asking that LL's customer's Koha dbs be made public... only that the code for the features that LL publicly obligated itself to provide such as those listed

here: http://www.nabble.com/Additional-3.2-RFCs-td19448041.html#a19448041

and here: http://www.nabble.com/RFCs-for-3.2-tt17735030.html#a17735030

and here:
http://www.nabble.com/RFC-3.2---hold-request-targeting-tt18989662.html#a18989662

and here:
http://www.nabble.com/RFC-3.2---hourly-circulation-policies-tt17735161.html#a17735161

and here:
http://www.nabble.com/RFC-3.2---email-checkout-slips-tt17735195.html#a17735195

and here:
http://www.nabble.com/RFC-3.2---enhancements-to-notifications-and-messaging-tt17735362.html#a17735362

and...

and...

And BTW... what happened to the Joshua Ferraro seen in this quote:

"It'd be cool if we could push reports upstream to the community as part of the http://contribs.koha.org site, with a new feature to allow you to find and add reports to your Koha system that others had created and pushed up ...

Josh "

taken from here: http://www.nabble.com/RFC-3.2-%3A-guided-reports-improved-tt18832709.html#a18882846

The operative phrase in that quote is: ..."push ...upstream to the community..." That is the Josh I'm familiar with.

Josh: I'd say that if you (as representing LibLime) cannot make good on the above commitments (which we must remember were to be included in the 3.2 release), then you (and LibLime) have failed to honor your word. If this is true (and I truly hope you will prove it not to be) then this is a question of character. I would submit that whatever short-term gains LibLime stands to obtain by sacrificing its word will pale in comparison to the long-term losses LibLime will suffer in the loss of character in both the FOSS community and the business community. I would encourage you (LibLime) to invest the time it will take, even if it is "off the clock," to produce a non-proprietary copy of your git repo and make it public. This will speak *volumes* to both communities.

Regards, Chris

Joshua Ferraro-3 wrote:

Hi folks,

I would like to further clarify LibLime's recent announcement about the LibLime Enterprise Koha platform and its implications for the greater Koha community, as well as LibLime customers.

First, we at LibLime apologize for what may have seemed like a surprise announcement. We have been working hard on creating a business model that will both ensure the success of our customers and the long-term viability of Koha.  We hope that the discussion below in Q & A format will help promote better understanding about what we are doing, and that we can all move forward, wishing each other well.

Q: Is LibLime Enterprise Koha a 'Fork' of Koha?