atom feed16 messages in net.php.lists.internalsRe: [PHP-DEV] Is there a technical re...
FromSent OnAttachments
Roman IMay 18, 2009 5:32 pm
Philip OlsonMay 19, 2009 12:00 am
Jani TaskinenMay 19, 2009 2:50 am
Roman IMay 30, 2009 12:49 pm
Philip OlsonJun 3, 2009 2:13 pm
MichaelJun 3, 2009 2:37 pm
Roman IJun 4, 2009 8:44 pm
Rasmus LerdorfJun 4, 2009 10:46 pm
Stanislav MalyshevJun 4, 2009 11:58 pm
Hannes MagnussonJun 5, 2009 12:42 am
Rasmus LerdorfJun 5, 2009 12:52 am
Stan VassilevJun 5, 2009 6:12 am
Philip OlsonJun 5, 2009 11:45 am
Stanislav MalyshevJun 5, 2009 12:17 pm
Brian MoonJun 5, 2009 12:29 pm
Stanislav MalyshevJun 5, 2009 2:05 pm
Subject:Re: [PHP-DEV] Is there a technical reason <?= considered a "short tag"?
From:Philip Olson (phi@roshambo.org)
Date:Jun 3, 2009 2:13:11 pm
List:net.php.lists.internals

On May 30, 2009, at 12:49 PM, Roman I wrote:

Philip Olson wrote:

On May 18, 2009, at 5:33 PM, Roman I wrote:

From what I know, in the future versions of PHP short tags are going to be disabled by default.

<snip>

Common misunderstanding but the short_open_tag directive will never be disabled by default. There are distributed php.ini-* files that disable them, but those don't contain default values.

This neither answers nor invalidates the original question, though.

Unfortunately I do not remember everything about this but do know that:

- Decoupling <?= from short_open_tag was discussed, and did not happen - Allowing it to be enabled at runtime was discussed, and did not happen - The issues with <?= and <? are similar... an invalid PI

I've not read every thread or discussion on this (there are many) but CVS speaks for itself. Here's one thought comparing the two viewpoints:

- http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=120614525214419&w=2

The following RFC mentions this decoupling, yet was declined:

- http://wiki.php.net/rfc/shortags

And lastly, the general topic of short tags came up recently while several people discussed PHP 6:

- http://wiki.php.net/summits/pdmnotesmay09

In summary: It's a topic people don't want to talk about. :)

Regards, Philip