|jon....@sun.com||Jun 14, 2005 10:32 am|
|Subject:||Minutes of Pacific UBL TC call 13|14 June 2005|
|Date:||Jun 14, 2005 10:32:30 am|
MINUTES OF PACIFIC UBL TC MEETING 00H30 - 02H30 UTC TUESDAY 14 JUNE 2005
Jon Bosak (chair) Micah Dubinko Stephen Green G. Ken Holman Tim McGrath Sylvia Webb
Additions to the calendar (http://ibiblio.org/bosak/ubl/calendar.htm)
TimM: MikkelB may be able to represent UBL at the CEN/ISSS workshop. There is also another workshop in Geneva the third week in June [?] during which Tradelink will mention DTTN work with UBL.
Liaison report: X12
SylviaW: X12 met last week. Attendance was good -- more than 500 people. The most significant developments were the approval of the first schema (for transportation invoice) based on CICA, and renewed discussion about basing X12 schemas on data models developed by other groups (for example, UBL or UN/CEFACT) to achieve a greater level of semantic harmonization. There will be elections for chair and vice chair at the September plenary.
Liaison report: Tax XML TC
SylviaW: Due to attendance at X12 meeting, haven't had a chance to catch up with what happened last week.
Liaison report: ISO/IEC JTC1 SC34
KenH: The SC34 meeting in Amsterdam was notable for its recognition of James Mason's 20 years of chairmanship. International Standards RNG and Schematron are working their way through the publication process. There is a new work item in the print area: KenH will be the editor of a standard (like the description in UBL 1.0) for the specification of formatting specifications [I think that's accurate, but maybe Ken can suggest more felicitous wording].
Subcommittee report: HISC
KenH: ZarellaR has agreed to write up the formatting specs while KenH does the Crane stylesheets; MicahD is still working on the input specs. SueP and MichaelD attended last week by phone; the meeting was positive with regard to cooperation between HISC and UNeDocs on mapping to the UN Layout Key.
Discussion: We understand that there is a (nonnormative?) ISO mapping of the original UNTDED to UNLK, but UNeDocs appears to go beyond UNTDED. If we could map UBL to the appropriate 4-digit UNTDED code, then presumably we would get the UNLK mapping as well, but we're not convinced that this will actually work. In particular, we're not clear on how the recent revision of the UNTDED in TC154 relates to the UNLK. It's easy to say that UBL will "use the semantics from UNTDED," but that's not the same as a clear "this equals that," and no one seems to have the resources to do this level of mapping. Few people seem to believe that "all we have to do is map to UNeDocs." On the other hand, we would certainly like to take advantage of the willingness in both eDocs and HISC to work together.
AGREED that we should add a column in each UBL spreadsheet for the 4-digit code of the corresponding TDED entry. We will seek resources (semantic experts) to perform the mapping; HISC stands ready to implement these semantic judgements but cannot be responsible for forming them.
AGREED that HISC will discuss the idea of documenting the UNLK locational definitions in a row/col format and including this in the UBL spreadsheets as well.
Subcommittee report: SBSC
StephenG: We just submitted the package to the TC, so our main work is done; we're now waiting for TC action.
KenH: This took a lot of hard work on Stephen's part. We wonder who can be found to do this for UBL 2.0.
SylviaW: What's the implication of SBS for tool support? We don't want to have to investigate problems with SBS schemas.
Ken/Stephen: SBS is a catalog of UBL 1.0 constructs and doesn't define any new document schemas, so there should be no problems in this regard.
AGREED that we will consider adding a "candidate for SBS" column to the UBL 2.0 spreadsheets so that the business experts can check off the items they deem interesting for small businesses. Someone will need to prepopulate the columns to indicate the elements included in 1.0 SBS.
Subcommittee report: SSC
StephenG: Last week had StephenG, AnneH, and DavidK. We reviewed the decisions and NDR discussions from the Atlantic TC call of 8 June; it looks like this fits DavidK's schedule and that he could get some work done on implementing the changes before he leaves on vacation the second week of July. StephenG and sent out a draft list of the schema changes today.
SylviaW: The plan sounds reasonable and the draft looks good.
Team report: European input to 2.0
TimM: Held a meeting last week, and the European stakeholders are meeting tomorrow in London to finalize the documents needed for the extended procurement model. OGC is still debating some of the taxation issues, so the issues list will need further revision. There is growing interest in UBL among the Northern European governments, but we need to involve IDA more closely.
Team report: Transport documents
TimM: Detailed working session last week; ThomasL and TimM are now deeply involved in analysis of the DTTN library (the reusable part of which has 2.5 thousand rows of definitions). It's becoming apparent that this is a very specialized implementation, so our goal (as with the taxation requirements) should be to simplify this into a common generalized form rather than picking up the DTTN work directly. This will take a fair amount of effort, but we will benefit from the richness and practicality of the library. We're now at the point where we can involve CrimsonLogic and talk about how CO fits in with the DTTN library. ThomasL has done an interesting mapping among DTTN, CO, and eDocs that highlights the difference between a generalized library and a specialized one. Bottom line is that we are getting an idea of the scale of work involved, and it will take quite a bit to get this input into a form useful for UBL.
JonB: So our plan for this depends on the availability of resources.
TimM: And overlaps with what we may or may not do with UNeDocs.
Review of Eurasia and Atlantic TC minutes
JonB: Apologies for not having the Atlantic minutes together in time for this call.
No objections to agreements made in last week's Eurasia call.
ACTION ITEM REVIEW
ACTION: JonB to schedule a discussion of CCTS compliance that will include MarkC and MichaelD.
Status: Awaiting Mark's return from vacation.
ACTION: PeterB to finish up the 2.0 issues list so that we can review it 13|14 June.
TimM: Couldn't really finalize because there are still some issues being debated for inclusion, but did distribute a copy of the current issues list yesterday.
The issues list distributed yesterday has broken links and other problems (e.g., last updated date, color coding...). Some comments from the meeting 5/24 have been included in resolutions.
ACTION: TimM to contact BettyH to arrange a return of the issues list to her care as soon as it has reached a stage where this is possible.
Party types: We need to keep "buyer party" and "seller party" for compatibility with 1.0, but it's clear that we need further differentiation: "supplier," "customer," "dispatcher," etc. "Bill from," "bill to," "ship from," "ship to" are currently locations, but there is a need to expand these to be parties.
AGREED that it is better to model these roles as parties rather than addresses or contacts.
ACTION: TimM to update PeterB on this preference for inclusion in the party white paper.
Tax XML: See minutes of last week's Pacific and Eurasia calls.
SylviaW: The detailed info in the Tax XML input was intended as FYI to supplement our deliberations.
AGREED that we wish to involve experts from the Tax XML in helping with the design and describing how the general structures in UBL 2.0 can be applied to specific application scenarios.
ACTION: SylviaW to communicate this sentiment to the Indirect Taxation SC meeting this week.
Jon Bosak Chair, OASIS UBL TC