|Subject:||Re: UBL response to UN/CEFACT|
|From:||Ray Walker (rayw...@attglobal.net)|
|Date:||Mar 28, 2003 11:09:02 am|
Dear Jon, Thanks again and for completeness here is the text of my response to you on March 20
"Dear Jon, Thank you for this and sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to you . ( its always more difficult to catch -up when one has been away for two weeks and working in a substantially different time zone)
However, I think this provides with a good basis for going forward and after I have had the opportunity of getting comments from all my colleagues, I'll be back to you. Hopefully then we can make some public announcements and, as we discussed, share the good news with others"
PS I hope to be back to you next week.
----------------------------------------------------- Ray Walker, Chairman UN/CEFACT Steering Group <rayw...@attglobal.net> WWW.uncefact.org Mobile: +44 78666 86185; London: Voice: + 44 208 297 1836 Fax: + 44 208 297 9392 Brussels: Voice & Fax: + 32 2 660 2039
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Bosak" <Jon....@sun.com> To: <ubl-...@lists.oasis-open.org> Cc: <rayw...@attglobal.net>; <rber...@btrade.com>; <kla...@naujok.name>; <disk...@w150.aone.net.au>; <sue....@commerceone.com>; <jon....@sun.com>; <mcra...@lmi.org>; <karl...@oasis-open.org>; <agre...@aeon-llc.com>; <st...@finansraadet.dk>; <gunt...@sap.com>; <lsea...@aeon-llc.com>; <mich...@apacs.org.uk>; <jami...@oasis-open.org> Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 2:12 AM Subject: UBL response to UN/CEFACT
[I sent the message below to the ubl-cefact list 15 March, but due to a miscommunication, the list seems to have been taken down during the recent changeover to a new OASIS TC management system. I am resending the message now with copies to everyone originally subscribed to the list just to make sure it gets through.]
Please find below the response of the UBL Negotiation Team to your message of 12 March 2003. We believe that this plan addresses all the issues raised in the document attached to that message and in the exchange our teams enjoyed at the UN/CEFACT meeting in San Diego.
You will note that the former items relating to the time period between January and March of this year have been deleted as no longer relevant. In their place, Section 2 below is intended to reaffirm our desire to gain as much UN/CEFACT input as possible before UBL goes to version 1.0.
I would like to express my thanks to the entire UN/CEFACT team for its effort in finding terms that will allow UBL to join in the work of UN/CEFACT and my hope that we can now proceed together to make this union a reality.
Jon Bosak Sun Microsystems Chair, OASIS UBL TC
Revised Plan for Transfer of UBL to UN/CEFACT
13 March 2003
1. The development of UBL Naming and Design Rules and UBL Library Content shall continue in the current OASIS organizational structure until completion and OASIS standardization of Version 1.0 of the following items of work: the UBL Naming and Design Rules, the UBL component library, and an initial set of UBL document schemas. Completion of these work items is expected in 2Q2003 and OASIS standardization is expected in 3Q2003. It shall be the plan of the the OASIS UBL TC to complete these items in time to become ATG items of work at the meeting of the UN/CEFACT Forum in September 2003.
2. The UBL TC shall recommend to OASIS the creation of one or more short-term mailing lists for the direct input of comments from members of UN/CEFACT into the work of the UBL 1.0 specification. Interested UN/CEFACT members shall be invited to participate informally in UBL TC and technical subcommittee meetings. Input from UN/CEFACT members shall be given consideration to the fullest extent possible within the limits of UBL's current schedule, scope, and business requirements.
3. Upon completion of the initial set of deliverables and their publication as OASIS standards, OASIS shall grant UN/CEFACT an unlimited, perpetual, royalty-free license to continue development of the standards and to publish works derived from those standards as UN/CEFACT specifications.
4. Ownership of the UBL name and logo as applied to version 1.0 shall remain with OASIS; ownership of the UBL name and logo as applied to later versions of the work shall vest in UN/CEFACT. OASIS shall continue to distribute UBL 1.0 without charge to users but shall discontinue further development of the standard. UN/CEFACT shall publish future versions of UBL without charge to users. If UN/CEFACT fails to publish a version of UBL as a UN-sanctioned standard within one year of the date on which this agreement takes effect, or if UN/CEFACT at any future time transfers development of UBL to some third party or terminates its continuing development and maintenance of UBL as a freely available standard, then OASIS shall have the right to resume further development of UBL using the UBL name and logo.
5. UBL shall be formally recognized as UN/CEFACT's preferred document-centric XML syntax for business-to-business electronic commerce.
6. The OASIS UBL subcommittees shall transfer to UN/CEFACT as UBL subcommittees of ATG2 chartered to continue development of UN/CEFACT's document-centric XML syntax for business-to-business electronic commerce.
7. This plan shall become effective when approved by UN/CEFACT, OASIS, and the OASIS UBL Technical Committee.