atom feed19 messages in org.opensolaris.dtrace-discuss[dtrace-discuss] Missing -G flag in O...
FromSent OnAttachments
Robert LorOct 26, 2007 8:27 am
Adam LeventhalOct 26, 2007 8:44 am
Steve PetersOct 26, 2007 10:08 am
Adam LeventhalOct 26, 2007 10:37 am
Jarod JensonOct 26, 2007 11:57 am
Robert LorOct 26, 2007 1:37 pm
Adam LeventhalOct 26, 2007 2:25 pm
Robert LorOct 26, 2007 2:51 pm
Adam LeventhalOct 26, 2007 3:27 pm
Adam LeventhalOct 27, 2007 9:39 am
James McIlreeOct 29, 2007 1:42 pm
Adam LeventhalOct 29, 2007 4:48 pm
James McIlreeOct 29, 2007 5:44 pm
Adam LeventhalOct 30, 2007 6:16 pm
Steve PetersOct 31, 2007 9:17 am
Adam LeventhalOct 31, 2007 9:21 am
Robert LorNov 2, 2007 1:36 pm
James McIlreeNov 5, 2007 11:50 am
Robert LorNov 5, 2007 2:36 pm
Subject:[dtrace-discuss] Missing -G flag in OSX Dtrace port
From:Steve Peters (sc@mac.com)
Date:Oct 26, 2007 10:08:35 am
List:org.opensolaris.dtrace-discuss

On Oct 26, 2007, at 8:44 AM, Adam Leventhal wrote:

It's especially odd that they've chosen to support the -h option, but not the -G option -- I'm not to what purpose one could put the generated header file. Perhaps the Apple folks could comment?

The Mac OS X "dtrace -h" emits all the information required for successfully linking a USDT probe by the rest of the toolchain. On Mac OS X "dtrace -G" is superfluous. For historical reasons "-G" was disabled early on in the bring up. We'll take a bug to re-introduce "- G" as a no-op with a warning message.

See the section "BUILDING CODE CONTAINING USDT PROBES" in the Leopard dtrace(1) man page.

Static probes work very nicely on Mac OS X (thank you!) A number of our frameworks ship with "Is Enabled" static probes in Leopard.

SCP