atom feed95 messages in org.blender.bf-committersRe: [Bf-committers] Collada importer/...
FromSent OnAttachments
Sergey SharybinJan 4, 2012 11:57 am
Thomas DingesJan 4, 2012 12:07 pm
Nathan LetworyJan 4, 2012 12:12 pm
Peter AmstutzJan 4, 2012 1:34 pm
KnappJan 4, 2012 1:42 pm
Tobias KummerJan 4, 2012 6:45 pm
Campbell BartonJan 4, 2012 7:56 pm
Sergey SharybinJan 4, 2012 11:59 pm
Domino MaramaJan 5, 2012 3:51 am
Brecht Van LommelJan 5, 2012 2:27 pm
Domino MaramaJan 5, 2012 2:54 pm
Ton RoosendaalJan 6, 2012 2:58 am
Gaia ClaryJan 6, 2012 3:41 am
Sergey SharybinJan 6, 2012 3:48 am
Thomas DingesJan 6, 2012 3:51 am
Campbell BartonJan 6, 2012 4:07 am
KnappJan 6, 2012 10:51 am
Morten MikkelsenJan 6, 2012 12:20 pm
Francesco ZoffoliJan 6, 2012 4:03 pm
skotiJan 6, 2012 5:11 pm
Morten MikkelsenJan 6, 2012 5:34 pm
Przemyslaw GolabJan 7, 2012 12:40 am
Ton RoosendaalJan 7, 2012 3:30 am
skotiJan 7, 2012 5:03 am
Morten MikkelsenJan 7, 2012 6:49 am
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 7:06 am
Morten MikkelsenJan 7, 2012 7:38 am
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 7:49 am
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 7:51 am
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 8:22 am
Morten MikkelsenJan 7, 2012 8:29 am
Domino MaramaJan 7, 2012 9:03 am
Erwin CoumansJan 7, 2012 9:07 am
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 9:10 am
Erwin CoumansJan 7, 2012 9:23 am
60 later messages
Subject:Re: [Bf-committers] Collada importer/exporter kickout
From:Brecht Van Lommel (brec@pandora.be)
Date:Jan 5, 2012 2:27:49 pm
List:org.blender.bf-committers

Hi,

+1 for immediate creation of Collada tracker and move collada bugs there (can help with this, it worked well for BMesh).

Also agree on creating a Collada tracker.

Other topics can be postponed closer to release, though I'd expect 2.62 would include collada, perhaps we could set some target for the Collada tracker & call for developers to help out, or disable by default (actual code removal can be checked on much later if we want to phase out or move to something else).

Right, I don't think we should throw it out or disable it for release just yet.

My own experience with trying to fix collada bugs has not been great - the few issues I ran into were either very hard to debug or bugs in opencollada (which I forwarded to the collada tracker) - just to say that ~5 or so times I seriously tried to fix some of our collada bugs and didn't get far.

I've had the same experience, tried to fix bugs but found it very difficult. I looked into armature bugs mostly, and it seems the Collada and Blender models of those are quite different, but the code doesn't properly address this issue and seems to need major refactoring. I think good animation/armature support is critical, otherwise you might as well use .obj/.3ds.

Now, as for the path forward, it's apparently a lot of work to get a complete importer/exporter working, not only with basic test cases but also compatible with other applications. Especially the importer for different Collada versions seems difficult to implement well.

From the point of view of attracting more developers, a python importer seems the best solution, also since there's good python utility code already there from other IO addons. However from what I can see the bpycollada importer is still at prototype level. The c++ importer is further along but needs difficult code refactoring to fix bugs.

Brecht.