atom feed12 messages in org.apache.lucene.java-devRe: Lucene 2.9 RC4 now available for ...
FromSent OnAttachments
Yonik SeeleySep 14, 2009 4:45 pm
Mark MillerSep 14, 2009 4:57 pm
Mark MillerSep 14, 2009 5:30 pm
Grant IngersollSep 14, 2009 6:14 pm
Doron CohenSep 14, 2009 9:22 pm
Uwe SchindlerSep 15, 2009 12:24 am
Michael McCandlessSep 15, 2009 2:53 am
Grant IngersollSep 15, 2009 3:57 am
Mark MillerSep 15, 2009 4:18 am
Uwe SchindlerSep 15, 2009 4:41 am
Mark MillerSep 15, 2009 5:39 am
Doron CohenSep 15, 2009 11:01 am
Subject:Re: Lucene 2.9 RC4 now available for testing
From:Yonik Seeley (yon@lucidimagination.com)
Date:Sep 14, 2009 4:45:54 pm
List:org.apache.lucene.java-dev

We could cut a *real* release candidate that we could VOTE on soon, right? It's bee 3.5 weeks since the first release candidate.

-Yonik http://www.lucidimagination.com

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Mark Miller <mark@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Lucene users,

On behalf of the Lucene dev community (a growing community far larger than just the committers) I would like to announce the fourth release candidate for Lucene 2.9.

Please download and check it out - take it for a spin and kick the tires. If all goes well, we hope to release the final version of Lucene 2.9 very shortly.

We let out a bug in the lock factory changes we made in RC3 - making a new SimpleFSDirectory with a String param would throw an illegal state exception - a fix for this is in RC4. We also took the opportunity to add a few more documentation improvements, take care of another another minor bug fix or two, and move the message package from contrib queryParser to core.

While we generally try and maintain full backwards compatibility between major versions, Lucene 2.9 has a variety of breaks that are spelled out in the 'Changes in backwards compatibility policy' section of CHANGES.txt.

We recommend that you recompile your application with Lucene 2.9 rather than attempting to “drop” it in. This will alert you to any issues you may have to fix if you are affected by one of the backward compatibility breaks. As always, its a really good idea to thoroughly read CHANGES.txt before upgrading. Also, remember that this is a release candidate, and not the final Lucene 2.9 release.

Lucene 2.9 comes with a bevy of new features, including:

 * Per segment searching and caching (can lead to much faster reopen    among other things)

 * Near real-time search capabilities added to IndexWriter

 * New Query types

 * Smarter, more scalable multi-term queries (wildcard, range, etc)

 * A freshly optimized Collector/Scorer API

 * Improved Unicode support and the addition of Collation contrib

 * A new Attribute based TokenStream API

 * A new QueryParser framework in contrib with a core QueryParser    replacement impl included.

 * Scoring is now optional when sorting by Field, or using a custom    Collector, gaining sizable performance when scores are not    required.

 * New analyzers (PersianAnalyzer, ArabicAnalyzer,    SmartChineseAnalyzer)

 * New fast-vector-highlighter

 * Lucene now includes high-performance handling of numeric fields.    Such fields are indexed with a trie structure, enabling simple to    use and much faster numeric range searching without having to    externally pre-process numeric values into textual values.

 ---

And many, many more features, bug fixes, optimizations, and various improvements. You can find the full list of changes here:

HTML version: http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/Changes.html

Text version: http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/CHANGES.txt

Many changes have also occurred in Lucene's Contrib area:

HTML version: http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/Contrib-Changes.html

Text version: http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/CONTRIB-CHANGES.txt

Download release candidate 4 here: http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9rc4/

Be sure to report back with any issues you find!

Thanks,

iEYEARECAAYFAkqs/E0ACgkQ0DU3IV7ywDlolwCeLP2FNQbdC9QoQzgWi3YMsAzG LX0AniTMMLLaYR/xpPpx6abjDIDREzV6 =7MwC -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----