atom feed25 messages in com.ubuntu.lists.ubuntu-ukRe: [ubuntu-uk] jpeg from vcd
FromSent OnAttachments
normanDec 30, 2007 6:33 am
Daniel LambDec 30, 2007 7:05 am
Dave MorleyDec 30, 2007 7:24 am
normanDec 30, 2007 7:51 am
normanDec 30, 2007 7:54 am
normanDec 30, 2007 10:32 am
Dave MorleyDec 30, 2007 11:48 am
normanDec 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Dave MorleyDec 30, 2007 12:28 pm
Dave MorleyDec 30, 2007 12:52 pm
normanDec 30, 2007 12:54 pm
normanDec 30, 2007 1:07 pm
normanDec 30, 2007 1:20 pm
Daniel LambDec 30, 2007 3:18 pm
Sean MillerDec 30, 2007 11:36 pm
Sean MillerDec 30, 2007 11:44 pm
LeeGroupsDec 31, 2007 3:24 am
normanDec 31, 2007 3:40 am
Alan PopeDec 31, 2007 3:46 am
normanDec 31, 2007 3:48 am
Sean MillerDec 31, 2007 4:02 am
normanDec 31, 2007 4:04 am
Sean MillerDec 31, 2007 4:05 am
Robert McWilliamDec 31, 2007 8:34 am
Gavin FordDec 31, 2007 8:48 am
Subject:Re: [ubuntu-uk] jpeg from vcd
From:norman (nor@littletank.org)
Date:Dec 31, 2007 3:48:23 am
List:com.ubuntu.lists.ubuntu-uk

< snip >

A PhotoCD (which some people on here are thinking of) is a Kodak think that holds digitised photos normally from analogue file, which some DVD players can play.

The confusion is further enhanced because a while back a video editing software company came up with a neat idea that photo slideshows could be put onto cheap VCDs, to add more functionality to their software. This is basically a kludge, as the JPEG photos are actually converted to a few seconds off (still) MPEG1 video (there are no JPEGs on the disc) with nice fades in between.

More confusion is then added, because a lot of cheap DVD players now 'understand' CDs that are packed with JPEGs and display them as slide shows... confusing a lot people (but we'll leave my parents out of this:)....

A lot of people don't get the difference between all these different formats... unsurprisingly...

This is very interesting and I think I understand what you are saying. Thus, the CD I have is a collection of images that have been transferred to a CD in a format that plays on a DVD player. However, this does not help me in finding a process which will enable me to extract the images in a form I can process. Perhaps, if there is no way to do this with Ubuntu I must look to Windows.