atom feed1 message in net.launchpad.lists.openstack[Openstack] Tracking OpenStack adopti...
FromSent OnAttachments
Stefano MaffulliSep 24, 2012 10:29 am
Subject:[Openstack] Tracking OpenStack adoption / Discussion at Summit
From:Stefano Maffulli (stef@openstack.org)
Date:Sep 24, 2012 10:29:38 am
List:net.launchpad.lists.openstack

Hello folks,

One of the objectives of the OpenStack Foundation is to "Make OpenStack the ubiquitous cloud operating system". In order to reach that objective the Foundation needs to understand more about the usage of the OpenStack software.

Until now we've been counting downloads from Launchpad but that source is less and less accurate because OpenStack Distributions have become the main form to test, run and deploy OpenStack. Something like the Canonical Census that sends the daily anonymous ‘I’m alive’ ping for each Ubuntu installation by OEM or Mozilla’s Telemetry that captures more sophisticated details to gain hindsights about usage of Firefox. (http://arewesnappyyet.com/)

I filed a proposal to brainstorm at the Summit to identify new ways to measure usage of OpenStack around the world. I'd be glad if all product managers of OpenStack distributions and users contribute their opinions on it.

thanks, .stef