atom feed30 messages in org.python.python-dev[Python-Dev] Optimization targets
FromSent OnAttachments
Raymond HettingerApr 13, 2004 8:00 pm
Jeff EplerApr 13, 2004 9:10 pm
Bob IppolitoApr 13, 2004 9:26 pm
Jeff EplerApr 13, 2004 10:04 pm
Raymond HettingerApr 13, 2004 10:17 pm
Jeff EplerApr 13, 2004 11:10 pm
Guido van RossumApr 13, 2004 11:26 pm
Tim PetersApr 13, 2004 11:56 pm
Jeff EplerApr 14, 2004 9:08 am
Raymond HettingerApr 14, 2004 12:06 pm
Andrew MacIntyreApr 14, 2004 3:23 pm
Jeff EplerApr 14, 2004 3:35 pm
Mike PallApr 14, 2004 5:50 pm
Tim PetersApr 14, 2004 11:14 pm
Michael HudsonApr 15, 2004 7:05 am
Mike PallApr 15, 2004 9:36 am
Guido van RossumApr 15, 2004 10:27 am
Jeremy HyltonApr 15, 2004 10:38 am
Guido van RossumApr 15, 2004 10:42 am
Mike PallApr 15, 2004 11:56 am
Mike PallApr 15, 2004 11:56 am
Skip MontanaroApr 15, 2004 11:59 am
Michael HudsonApr 15, 2004 1:27 pm
Raymond HettingerApr 15, 2004 2:22 pm
Thomas HellerApr 15, 2004 2:31 pm
"Martin v. Löwis"Apr 15, 2004 3:07 pm
Jeremy HyltonApr 15, 2004 11:26 pm
Tim PetersApr 16, 2004 12:18 am
"Martin v. Löwis"Apr 16, 2004 2:00 am
Andrew MacIntyreApr 16, 2004 9:14 pm
Subject:[Python-Dev] Optimization targets
From:Jeremy Hylton (jer@alum.mit.edu)
Date:Apr 15, 2004 10:38:46 am
List:org.python.python-dev

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 10:27, Guido van Rossum wrote:

I recently met Mario Wolczko who worked on the Self language, and asked him if he had one sentence of advice for Python. His response was: Just-in-time compilation.

It seems like an obvious, but labor intensive solution to me. I didn't get a chance to pursue discussion much with Jim Hugunin or Mike Salib, but it would be interesting to know why they focus on static analysis; Self started out with static analysis but got better performance with runtime type feedback (http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/labs/oocsb/papers/toplas96.shtml).

Another question that I'd love to hear the answer to: What's the difference between Pysco and something like this Self implementation or the HotSpot Java implementation? I've never read a clear explanation of what Pysco does or how it compares to other systems that do dynamic compilation.

Jeremy