atom feed72 messages in org.w3.public-webapiRe: ACTION-87: Selectors API
FromSent OnAttachments
8 earlier messages
Lachlan HuntFeb 25, 2006 4:58 pm
Cameron McCormackFeb 25, 2006 5:01 pm
Daniel SchierbeckFeb 25, 2006 5:25 pm
Anne van KesterenFeb 26, 2006 2:21 am
Cameron McCormackFeb 26, 2006 2:33 am
Cameron McCormackFeb 26, 2006 1:04 pm
Maciej StachowiakFeb 26, 2006 3:03 pm
Jonas SickingFeb 28, 2006 1:57 pm
Ian HicksonMar 6, 2006 12:33 pm
Ian HicksonMar 6, 2006 12:35 pm
Anne van KesterenMar 22, 2006 2:30 am
Anne van KesterenMar 22, 2006 2:33 am
Anne van KesterenMar 22, 2006 2:35 am
mozerMar 22, 2006 3:16 am
Anne van KesterenMar 22, 2006 3:58 am
mozerMar 22, 2006 4:30 am
Anne van KesterenMar 22, 2006 4:37 am
Jim LeyMar 22, 2006 5:43 am
Anne van KesterenMar 22, 2006 6:08 am
Jim LeyMar 22, 2006 6:45 am
Maciej StachowiakMar 22, 2006 11:16 am
Maciej StachowiakMar 22, 2006 11:22 am
Maciej StachowiakMar 22, 2006 11:25 am
Robin BerjonMar 22, 2006 2:01 pm
Maciej StachowiakMar 22, 2006 2:28 pm
Ian HicksonMar 22, 2006 2:48 pm
Ian HicksonMar 22, 2006 2:51 pm
Maciej StachowiakMar 22, 2006 3:20 pm
Jim LeyMar 22, 2006 6:17 pm
Jim LeyMar 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Anne van KesterenMar 23, 2006 4:28 am
Ian HicksonMar 23, 2006 2:31 pm
Anne van KesterenMar 25, 2006 4:36 am
Ian HicksonMar 27, 2006 3:13 pm
Anne van KesterenApr 3, 2006 5:46 am
Anne van KesterenApr 3, 2006 5:51 am
lioreanMay 12, 2006 8:49 pm
Anne van KesterenMay 13, 2006 4:15 am
lioreanMay 13, 2006 12:08 pm
Anne van KesterenMay 13, 2006 12:26 pm
lioreanMay 13, 2006 2:40 pm
Anne van KesterenMay 14, 2006 7:20 am
lioreanMay 14, 2006 4:22 pm
Anne van KesterenMay 15, 2006 3:15 am
lioreanMay 16, 2006 9:29 pm
Anne van KesterenMay 17, 2006 5:18 am
Lachlan HuntMay 17, 2006 6:19 am
Anne van KesterenMay 17, 2006 6:30 am
Jim LeyMay 17, 2006 6:35 am
Lachlan HuntMay 17, 2006 7:02 am
14 later messages
Subject:Re: ACTION-87: Selectors API
From:Maciej Stachowiak (mj@apple.com)
Date:Mar 22, 2006 2:28:26 pm
List:org.w3.public-webapi

On Mar 22, 2006, at 2:01 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:

On Mar 22, 2006, at 20:25, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

On Mar 22, 2006, at 2:30 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

* IMHO the method should not raise an exception when the selector contains a pseudo-element. It should would return an empty list.

Given that it per definition only returns Element nodes I don't see why it shouldn't raise an exception.

I think exceptions should be reserved for actual syntax errors, not for selectors that can't match an element. I'm sure there are other ways besides pseudo-elements to make a selector that can't match anything.

I'm not convinced that an exception is the best way to go, but being able to make the difference between the inability to process the request and the fact that nothing matched could prove important for versioning purposes. For instance say v2 supports the ability to return the first-letter inside an element while v1 doesn't, and I want to write code that tries to do that using selectors in such a way that if the implementation tells me it's impossible I fall back to some hand-coded munging.

If we can't differentiate we'll have to resort to hasFeature(). Quite frankly, give me exceptions any day over that :)

I think exception on syntax error would cover this. If you use selector features that the implementation doesn't support, you'll get a parse error. Pseudo-elements would not be in that category, since they are supported but don't match any elements.

Another possibility, however, would be to match any element that is at least partially included in the pseudo. For example, document.match ("em::selection") would give you all <em> elements at least partially contained in the selection. I could imagine this being useful for some use cases.

And it would let us cleanly reserve exceptions for the case of a syntax error in the selector group.

Regards, Maciej